News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sourcing short lever PCB pin toggles

Started by Leevibe, March 04, 2014, 07:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

I'm pretty partial to short lever toggle switches. I like the way they look and I think they're practical for pedals because they're less likely to get snapped by a lead singer's boot heel.

I've always used the "Taiway" marked switches from SB for spdts and I think I remember buying some short lever dpdts from mammoth once.

Now I'm needing to board mount my switches but realized that SB only carries the short levers in solder lug version and I need PCB pin. Nuts! I found that BLMS has them but I bought a few and just didn't like the look and feel as much as the ones I'm used to even though they may be just fine.

I realize that I could go to a bigger pad size, but my design requires two switches to be butted end to end and that makes the pads overlap. I don't want to have to alter my silkscreen graphics if I can help it.

Is anyone else using short lever, PCB pin toggles? If so, where are you sourcing them?

selfdestroyer

This may help you.
http://www.ck-components.com/7000/toggle,10598,en.html
and here is the datasheet
http://www.ck-components.com/14430/7000toggle_20feb14.pdf/

and all these can be found at Mouser.com but they are pretty expensive. Maybe if you narrow down the exact model number you need from the datasheet above it will be easier to track down.

Cody

wgc

Or you could snip the solder lug slightly and solder like a pin

A little kludgey but worth a shot

Would also try eBay, and contacting sb to see if he could add the pin version
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

aion

Totally agree about short toggles. That's all I ever use. The long levers just look wrong to me now.

For whatever it's worth, I'm pretty picky about switch quality and I get most of mine from BLMS. That's probably the only place you'll be able to find short toggle PCB mount switches in the short term unless you order directly from Taiway (and I think they have a minimum order quantity of 1 or 2000).

Steve may start stocking them if he gets enough requests. But, he'll generally only make one or two orders with a manufacturer in a year, so even if he did add them it may be six months or more before they were available.

Leevibe

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. I found these at Digikey made by E-Switch. Does anyone have experience with E-Switch? The price is good and if they feel like the Taiways I'd be happy.

The BLMS just feel slightly less smooth and they are vague in the center position of on-off-on. I realize that I'm probably being extremely picky. I'm weird about switches. But the difference in feel makes me unsure of long term reliability too and for a few cents I don't want to risk it. His prices are really good though and I think it's cool that he even sells 3pdts in short lever.

Stomptown

Quote from: Leevibe on March 04, 2014, 04:13:11 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. I found these at Digikey made by E-Switch. Does anyone have experience with E-Switch? The price is good and if they feel like the Taiways I'd be happy.

The BLMS just feel slightly less smooth and they are vague in the center position of on-off-on. I realize that I'm probably being extremely picky. I'm weird about switches. But the difference in feel makes me unsure of long term reliability too and for a few cents I don't want to risk it. His prices are really good though and I think it's cool that he even sells 3pdts in short lever.

Link?

Leevibe

Quote from: Stomptown on March 04, 2014, 04:16:37 PM
Quote from: Leevibe on March 04, 2014, 04:13:11 PM

Link?

Oopsy

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/100SP1T2B1M2QEH/100SP1T2B1M2QEH-ND/1803167

Leevibe

Stomptown

I bought some blms switches and the shaft was not totally in square with the body of the switch. I'm not sold on the quality either. They have the same markings as the ones from tayra so I assume they are the same manufacturer. I think they are fine for personal builds but I'm also skeptical of using them in builds for customers...

Leevibe

Quote from: Stomptown on March 04, 2014, 04:23:46 PM
I bought some blms switches and the shaft was not totally in square with the body of the switch. I'm not sold on the quality either. They have the same markings as the ones from tayra so I assume they are the same manufacturer. I think they are fine for personal builds but I'm also skeptical of using them in builds for customers...

That's kind of how I feel

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Leevibe

Hoo boy I could fall in love with that little 3.15mm switch. That would look so cool. But the price!! I would do that for a one-off though.

Stomptown

FYI I grabbed some of the C&K switches out at Surplus Gizmos and they feel really smooth (long shaft). Quality seems good and they are made in USA. I would grab some of those and see how you like them...

davent

I've used short bat NKK's (with solder lugs) and wouldn't hesitate to use them again... plus i like the colour, they look different from the bog standard toggle.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

playpunk

I got some BLMS toggles, and they have not been good to me.
"my legend grows" - playpunk