News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ReVibe & Demo

Started by jubal81, March 05, 2014, 11:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonarchotic

I said it on another forum and I'll say it here. This is beauty through and through. Great job!

p.s. that guy is out of his mind if he thinks that is a fair trade labor wise. I'd say build him a nice single circuit pedal.

lincolnic

Quote from: midwayfair on March 06, 2014, 06:12:08 PM
Just be upfront with him. Tell him that this sort of project (or any sort of multipedal) was really not what you had in mind when you offered to build him something, and I really think he's imposing on you (and probably knows it). Explain the incredible amount of time it takes to build it and that while you value his time, the exchange simply isn't equitable. I'm sure there are many other things you could build him that sound good. :)

This. Exactly this.

raulduke

Quote from: midwayfair on March 06, 2014, 06:12:08 PM
Quote from: jubal81 on March 06, 2014, 05:46:47 PM
I told the guy with the home studio who helped me with the recording that I'd build him a pedal at parts cost for helping me out, so now I'm probably on the hook to build the toughest thing I've built yet for FREE. DOH. I didn't think he'd go there, especially after I told him the parts are at least $250, but he flipped out after he heard it and got a chance to play with it.
Just be upfront with him. Tell him that this sort of project (or any sort of multipedal) was really not what you had in mind when you offered to build him something, and I really think he's imposing on you (and probably knows it). Explain the incredible amount of time it takes to build it and that while you value his time, the exchange simply isn't equitable. I'm sure there are many other things you could build him that sound good. :)

I agree with Jon.

It is the want of many people to try it on and see what they can get.

He probably realises something of that magnitude was not what you had in mind.

Just be honest with him.

juansolo

I could have sold the Hashishian many times over for $250 rather that £250. However I'd have built it for £35 or so... Which is less than I get for a Klone. No, I don't think so.

I'm with everyone else on this. That for the price of parts is taking the piss a little.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

billstein

Be nice but firm and explain the situation. I said I would build you a pedal not THE pedal of all time. It will probably take you more than an hour and a half just to order all the parts,

I look at things like this as a test of character. You will find out if this individual is reasonable and somebody you want to have a working relationship with. If he's not you might as well learn that now.

If he gives you any trouble let us know and the whole board will run over and persuade him, if you know what I mean! :)

jubal81

Thanks for the input, guys. Good perspective. My main hangup was that I had already implied that I'd do it and I hate going back and saying, 'you know, I change my mind.'

I'm thinking I'll tell him how many hours are involved (Yeah, at least 2 hours just ordering parts, if not more) and that if he still wants me to do it, I'll trade him for some lessons. He's a pretty great player and regularly does that.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pryde

Maybe he would be willing to take a nice compromise like a 2-in-1 Cardinal trem and Rubabub Reverb? Still giving him more than his share but your not completely burying yourself this way.

Relate some hard numbers to him so he has a solid understanding of parts and labor. Tough situation and I feel for you. Good luck.

Matt

Hell, I just saw the picture and wanted one.  Then I heard the demo.  That's an amazing pedal inside and out!
Matt

juansolo

Well this is going to prove pricey. Cleggy's just ordered a surfy bear. Guess what we're making...

jubal81

Quote from: juansolo on May 19, 2014, 12:45:12 PM
Well this is going to prove pricey. Cleggy's just ordered a surfy bear. Guess what we're making...

Muhuhahaha. Awesome.
Hit me up if you need any tips.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

juansolo

Quote from: jubal81 on May 19, 2014, 12:52:39 PM

Muhuhahaha. Awesome.

Will do man, cheers.

Essentially he heard the Princeton and that was that. Only a tank would do.  ;D

jubal81

Quote from: juansolo on May 19, 2014, 01:49:47 PM
Quote from: jubal81 on May 19, 2014, 12:52:39 PM

Muhuhahaha. Awesome.

Will do man, cheers.

Essentially he heard the Princeton and that was that. Only a tank would do.  ;D

Yes, yes. This. That amp is the balls. I swear someday I'm going to build an Allen Sweet Spot.
http://www.allenamps.com/sweetspot.php
- David Fair

juansolo

Make it so dude. As you say, it's an endgame amp. Bloody lovely thing.

chromesphere

That's...freaking...awesome...  :o

Subscribed!
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

rullywowr

Great playing and lush reverb/vibe tones.  What's not to like?!  :)

That Allen SweetSpot does look killer.  I want!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!