News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Soldering transistors into sockets

Started by lincolnic, March 05, 2014, 10:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lincolnic

I know there are a couple of you around here who've done this - I'm just curious about how people feel about it. If you're satisfied with the transistors in a circuit and you've got a heat sink handy, is there any reason not to? I was thinking about securing the transistors in my Tonebender that way...not sure if I trust the super thin leads on those GT108s.

selfdestroyer

I have never done this but I have used a small dot of Loctite. I figure if I had to I could remove the transistor without trimming the legs. Probably not a smart thing on my part but it worked.

Cody

stevie1556

I use some hot glue to secure mine rather then solder. It's easily removed if need be, and the heat from it isn't high enough to damage transistors.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

LaceSensor

GermanCdn

One drop of solder onto any one leg is all you need to get the job done.  Quick and easy.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Betty Wont

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 06, 2014, 05:01:37 AM
One drop of solder onto any one leg is all you need to get the job done.  Quick and easy.

Exactly, and only a little heat on that one leg and out it comes if you ever NEED to change it. I do this on every build.

culturejam

I just remove the socket and the solder the transistor to the board.

I would consider hot glue/sockets if I were dealing with mojo/rare trannies that I thought I might want to repurpose in the future.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

lincolnic

Quote from: culturejam on March 06, 2014, 08:12:44 AM
I just remove the socket and the solder the transistor to the board.

You know what, this makes so much sense it didn't even occur to me. I guess I was just focusing on what the smallest amount of work would be.  ;D