News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question about real estate in the smoothie.

Started by smallpoxchampion, March 06, 2014, 09:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallpoxchampion

So I picked the smoothie as my first 1590a build, and I just finished populating the board and realized I didn't use any low profile electrolytic caps in there. Is that an absolute must for getting the lid to fit on properly? I won't have time to wire this up for another week or so but i figured now would be a good time to backtrack and order those if need be.

Thanks!

stevie1556

I'm not sure as I've always used low profile electros regardless of the box it's going in. If you're UK/EU I can send you a few if you need them.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

midwayfair

Quote from: smallpoxchampion on March 06, 2014, 09:14:09 PMIs that an absolute must for getting the lid to fit on properly?

Yes, you'll never even get close to getting the lid on with full-sized electrolytics. Even putting them sideways will be difficult.

If you're in the U.S. I can send you some of the right ones. :)

madbean

Normal electros are about 11mm in height whereas the micro ones are 4-5mm. It makes all the difference. Alternatively, you could use tantalum in place of the electros which will fit.

pickdropper

In a pinch, you can use 7mm height it just makes things a bit tighter.  I have used 7mm and full sized jacks so you can make it work.  Anything larger is a problem unless you lay it sideways (assuming the PCB has enough room to do so).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

smallpoxchampion

Thanks for the feedback guys. Getting the solder sucker out right now.