News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer cap question

Started by smallpoxchampion, March 07, 2014, 07:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallpoxchampion

So I was populating the capacitors and I noticed for C9 it lists a 1uf cap but on the board it looks like a film cap should go there. Can I use an electrolytic cap for this, and if so how should I orient it?

edit- C11 appears to be the same as well.

midwayfair

Electrolytics must always be oriented with the stripe toward the lowest potential and the + side facing the higher voltage. In the kingslayer, both sides of these caps are at ground, except when an audio signal is present, in which case they're looking at AC.

There's a problem when electrolytic caps are used with an audio signal that goes up and down in voltage. The caps are forced to reverse conduct on the half swing every time audio signal passes through them. That can be bad -- it might cause the cap to go bad faster. However, the good thing is that C9 and C11 connect to each other and thus the side where they connect is always at ground, and the op amp pins in a split rail are always at ground. So if you absolutely MUST use a polarized electrolytic here, it doesn't matter which way you put them.

Box film caps in 1uF values are neither rare nor expensive. They also often sound better in the audio path. It's worth it to get them.

smallpoxchampion

No need to rush this one, I'll grab some film caps on my next order. Thanks.

midwayfair

Quote from: smallpoxchampion on March 07, 2014, 08:24:35 PM
No need to rush this one, I'll grab some film caps on my next order. Thanks.

I'll toss in a couple with the other caps I'm sending you.

smallpoxchampion