News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

multimeter?

Started by thesameage, March 08, 2014, 09:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

I have a super cheap multimeter that isn't getting the job done. Any suggestions on a basic, solid multimeter that won't break the bank?

Clayford

Not basic, Solid, and easy on the bank.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050LVFS0/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$25 auto ranging. I compared about 100 parts between it an my Fluke at work. Good auto ranging and was acurrate to the .00x with the Fluke. I'm not worried about that kind of precision at home.

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

thesameage

Thanks! Looks good so far...

What features should I be looking for in a pedal building tool? Prob won't use it for much else than battery testing.

selfdestroyer

I have that exact same multimeter and it has served me well for over a year. I would re-buy it if needed.

Cody

lars

One feature that's really nice to have is a transistor socket for measuring Hfe. It's usually not a super-accurate way to measure transistors, especially with germaniums, but it does help you get close. It's amazing how much Hfe will differ. I've had some 2N5133's that one will measure around 150 and the next one is almost 400.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

atreidesheir

I use this one.  hfe for transistors.  functions perfectly for a stupid low price.
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-92020.html#.UxywXU2aO1s
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

Haberdasher

i use the vc97 from ebay, pretty good for $30 delivered

autoranging
resistance
capacitance
frequency
audible continuity
voltage
hFe
current
temp
auto-shutoff to save batteries
runs on AAA's, yay!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Clayford

It looks like Haberdasher and I are giving you very similar options for very similar costs.

The MM is your friend in pedal building. Voltage, resistance, continuity, checking capacitors, it's more than a battery checker. The Mastech does that in spades.  The diode feature is nice, but since it's 3.5v powered don't expect it to light up LEDs very well(but you can see they're not blown), but it is reliable enough in diode mode to give an accurate voltage drop reading. As mentioned HFE on any meter is suspect, but usually good enough to sort by. The continuity function is loud and clear but not unpleasant. You can check your caps on it too. Good for finding just the right value for a tone stack or when you're making values. If you leave it on, it will beep as a warning, after a little bit it will turn it's self off, It uses 3AAA batteries not a 9v. Also a nice feature - It tells you where to plug things in based on your selection, and there's an audible noise if you're plugged in wrong. Very useful for measuring different voltages. It does do the frequency and Duty cycle as well. It doesn't do temperature. I'd rebuy this meter in a heartbeat.

Before that I worked just fine with the el-cheapo from harbor freight. It uses 9v batteries and will die overnight if left on. ::)

While you're at amazon, grab yourself a pair of xcelite 170M shear cutters.They're a great tool and worth it if you'll be spending time on the bench. For $6 you *could* get cheaper shear cutters, but why would you?

edited cause el-duderino posted between my read and post.

Haberdasher

Yeah Clayford, that sounds like a great meter too.

and +1 on the shear cutters.  i love mine- which are plato 170lx- and i am constantly using them.  same thing as xcellites i'm sure.
do not use them to cut guitar strings.  i put a little notch in mine doing that unfortunately.  they still work great though! :)

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

electrosonic

+1 on the VC97, the only downside is the free shipping option means a few weeks wait to get your hands on it.

Andrew

Haberdasher

Quote from: electrosonic on March 09, 2014, 01:44:31 PM
+1 on the VC97, the only downside is the free shipping option means a few weeks wait to get your hands on it.

Andrew
yeah, i waited like 3 wks for mine, but the last time i looked at them i noticed there was a usa seller or 2 now so maybe that wouldn't be an issue

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

jighead81

Is there one that can measure pF very well? I have a fluke that will just round off to 1n on the auto range, I guess it can't read that low?

Leevibe

Quote from: Clayford on March 09, 2014, 11:50:04 AM
While you're at amazon, grab yourself a pair of xcelite 170M shear cutters.They're a great tool and worth it if you'll be spending time on the bench. For $6 you *could* get cheaper shear cutters, but why would you?

+1

Haberdasher

Quote from: jighead81 on March 09, 2014, 08:54:40 PM
Is there one that can measure pF very well? I have a fluke that will just round off to 1n on the auto range, I guess it can't read that low?

the vc97 measures pretty low values, but it still isn't very good.  i think the actual wires coming out of the meter must have some capacitance.  no big deal if measuring 10uF, but for something like 22pF, I've found it to be useless.

the solution many of us have found is to build one of these.  it's pretty good at what it does.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

Clayford

Quote from: Haberdasher on March 09, 2014, 01:08:00 PM
do not use them to cut guitar strings.  i put a little notch in mine doing that unfortunately.  they still work great though! :)

+2
Get a good pair of dykes for that.