News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Moon-Tron (Nautilus)

Started by peAk, March 12, 2014, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

Oh man, that is a pedal that makes you want to play...
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Jabulani Jonny

Man that's nice. Is that a white decal you printed or did you paint the top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

peAk

Quote from: billstein on March 12, 2014, 10:46:14 PM
Gut shot or it was never built. :)

haha.....truth is, I still totally suck at neat wiring. Up to this point, wiring has been an after thought. I wire up the pots longer than I need and just kind of push the wire inside the enclosure. I promise I am getting better at it and will post a gut shot eventually.

Quote from: LaceSensor on March 12, 2014, 11:52:24 PM
Now to just ditch the white washer ;)

You know, that the noob in me. I never even thought about it but you are totally right. Why do I keep putting these white washers on my builds?

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 12, 2014, 08:25:11 PM
Seriously Beautiful, usually not the kind of artwork that hooks me, but this! I like! 8)

And i'm quite jealous that you can have your pedal sitting in flowers.... :P

Yeah, this was definitely over the top for me as well. I love 60s & 70s music though and I thought this somehow worked. And the flowers? Actually one of my other hobbies is landscaping and it just so happened that my Phlox were blooming and they had some cool purples to go with it.

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on March 13, 2014, 04:28:49 AM
Man that's nice. Is that a white decal you printed or did you paint the top?

Actually the pedal was painted lavendar and it's a clear waterslide decal. I was a little worried that the colors were going to get washed away with using clear vs white but luckily the lavendar was light enough that it came out okay. I have a love/hate relationship with waterslide decals. I love the fact that we have them since most of us don't have silkscreening available to us but I hate the fact that, for me at least, they never come out perfect.

Thanks guys for all the compliments! It's really helps a noob's confidence and I promise to eventually show gut shots!

Bret608

I am seriously curious where you got this enclosure! Looks awesome.

peAk

Quote from: Bret608 on March 13, 2014, 08:09:06 AM
I am seriously curious where you got this enclosure! Looks awesome.

thanks man

here....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60s-Reissue-Pedal-Enclosure-Fuzz-Project-Box-Made-in-USA-RI-Folded-Steel-/320781926498?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4ab017c062#ht_329wt_1362

a little expensive on the shipping for just one but I would order a few, the shipping remains the same no matter how many you purchase

a funny story about the enclosure....

long story short, the nautilus gave me some issues early on, mainly the vactrols I had just not sounding what I thought was correct. Anyway after getting everything sorted out, painted, etc....I went to box it and realized that the PCB was wider than the space of these two tabs that fold over on the bottom of these enclosures. Oh man, bummer. Had to bust out the dremel and cut this thick sheet metal. It was a pain and took forever but it finally worked. I didn't feel like repainting the bottom part of the enclosure (Dremel messed up the paint) so I decided to go ahead and cover it in Tolex like I did my fuzz.

So make sure if you buy one of these enclosures to measure your pcb! Or be ready to bust out the dremel!!

Guybrush

Fantastic work. You've inspired me to give this circuit a go.

How difficult is the build? Any other issues other than the vactrols?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

raulduke

Really cool build dude.

I love the trippy look on this one.

rich36

micromegas

I am interested too on seeing how did you put the Nautilus into that box. And would be awesome to now what box did you use too as I am planning  mine right now.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

peAk

Quote from: Guybrush on March 14, 2014, 02:47:35 AM
Fantastic work. You've inspired me to give this circuit a go.

How difficult is the build? Any other issues other than the vactrols?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I didn't think it was that difficult. The only thing that gave me problems were the vactrols like mentioned. I would just suggest socketing these just in case. For me the VTL5C3 sounded better but that doesn't mean that the MI1210CLF-R don't work, I could have just had an issue with one. My troubleshooting skills aren't on the level of some of these guys on here so the easiest fix for me was to socket them and try others (VTL5C3). Other than that, It wasn't hard. I guess when they classify these builds as easy, difficult, etc., it just means that there are more components so I guess more things can go wrong??

Quote from: micromegas on March 14, 2014, 04:59:15 AM

I am interested too on seeing how did you put the Nautilus into that box. And would be awesome to now what box did you use too as I am planning  mine right now.

Here is the enclosure. Just make sure to buy more than one because the shipping doesn't change but it's too high to justify for just one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60s-Reissue-Pedal-Enclosure-Fuzz-Project-Box-Made-in-USA-RI-Folded-Steel-/320781926498?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4ab017c062#ht_329wt_1362

Also, a Nautilus pcb is too wide to fit between the tabs on the bottom part of this enclosure, so you will need to either turn the board 90 degrees or cut off the tabs.

Maybe I will just post a gut shot. I will also post how the enclosure looks before the modification.

Again, thanks for the kind words guys

ch1naski

beautiful job, man. and the enclosure adds a hefty bit of class to it. I'd say it was worth the extra Dremel work.
one louder.

pryde

I'm a bit late to this party but groovy work  :)

All around nice style and execution. Don't be ashamed of the gut work no matter what. We still like to see em.

slimtriggers

Yeah, this is really cool.  I love the artwork.  It's sort of Art Deco meets trippy 60's stuff.