News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Waterslide decal problem

Started by raven174us, March 13, 2014, 02:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raven174us

I got my waterslide paper in and printed out the decal for a pedal I'm putting together. The decal turned out really well. I cleared over it with no problems. I trimmed everything really well and put it on the pedal. Everything looked great for about 15 mins. Then around the pot holes it started wrinkling. I worked with it a little and tried to keep the wrinkles out and made sure all the bubbles and water was out. But it got worse. Everything else turned out perfect except around the pot holes. Anyone have an issue like this? BTW it happened twice.
Jason

das234

Did you put water or water/soap on the enclosure to help the decal slide?  I've seen that recommended and even done it but if you don't get it all the water or soap out, the decal doesn't stick as well.  Also, use a roller to spread the glue around to help it stick.  Then, thin coats of clear.  Too thick a coat seems to make the decals lift around the edges too. 

raven174us

Thanks, I was thinking about it and thought maybe I may have put too much soap and water on the enclosure and didn't get it from around the holes good enough. All the corners stuck well and around the 3PDT switch hole also. It was just around the pot holes. I'm going to go at it again tomorrow and use less water on the enclosure.
Jason

billstein

Did you make sure there was no burrs on the holes. If the enclosure is raised there it could keep the decal from adhering. Happened to me once.

raven174us

There shouldn't be but I'll double check when I try again. Here is a pic of my first attempt.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Jason

toddvirgil

+1 on the burrs. Also, Sometimes after the water dries out the puckering will naturally stretch itself out. Use a good decal softener to help it adhear well and a piece of hard rubber works great as a squeegee...

Gledison

Guys! Maybe i can help here! I solved this problem as folloes:
After attaching the decal on the pedal and squeeging  qll the water drops with a towel paper, i let it dry dor 5 min! Than, immediatly clear coat it with acrylic autotive lacquer (thin coat). I could see that the solvent of the lacquer helped to 'melt' the decall om the surface and no issues anymore!
Cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

raven174us

After making another decal I ended up taking a hair dryer to it till it dried. I'll try the lacquer trick next time. Thanks!
Jason

jimilee

After mine dry, the wrinkles straighten themselves out as well.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.