News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Epcos box caps?

Started by Leevibe, March 13, 2014, 05:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

I'm considering going to all box style caps for films in the stuff I sell. It's really less about quality and more about aesthetics and possibly perceived quality. I'm definitely a sucker for the wimas. The 50v 1uFs are very compact. The problem with wimas is price. I've also used topmays, BC components and some white ones of unknown make.

I'm seriously considering going with all wimas because I really love the way they look, the quality is unquestioned, and I love that 50v 1uF. BUT I'm intrigued by the Epcos blue box caps. I don't know anything about Epcos and haven't done a price comparison. Just fishing for opinions.

I'd also be interested in recommendations of other brands too. Does anyone know who makes the white ones? I was recently inside a recent-issue Timmy and it was all white boxes in there. I've also seen cool looking yellow box caps but don't know where to get them, if they're any good, or if I could get that elusive compactness in the 1uF. (the wimas I got were something like 8H x 7L x 3.5W).

gtr2

Wima's are overpriced IMO and not any better in our circuits.  I buy Kemet's in bulk, but Epcos are fine.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

my opinion is caps are caps

for the best epcos prices check avnet
the bright yellow ones are avx- out of production so you won't be finding those in any substantial quantity
light yellow is accutronics which was recently bought out by kemet
the white ones are probably kemet

like i said they all sound the same to me but ymmv
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jubal81

The Epcos blues are my bread & butter caps. They're more expensive at Mouser now than Kemets, so I get Kemets when I need a one-off or small quantity.

Avnet has very good prices on the blues, but their selection of values isn't that great.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Jabulani Jonny

Or these, I just saved you 42%!  http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kemet/R82DC4100AA60J/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduj8b%252bNUTxyGteuEFwdxMIbw8gy1IbYOiLoDIqO7T4ALnw%3d%3d

Seriously though, I use Kemets because of price and availability.  They've been fine for me.  I've got a spreadsheet with mouser part numbers for all major cap values if needed.  Also includes resistors, etc. 
Jonathan

Leevibe

Wow. Thanks for the quick replies.

I agree with the sentiment that the wimas have no functional advantage and that they are overpriced. Like I said, part of it is aesthetics. OK, most of it is aesthetics. They look great! But I think the epcos look great too. I know epcos makes a 1uF in the same small size as the wima but mouser doesn't stock them.

I think the kemets do look like the white ones I was talking about. Pretty sure that's what's in the Timmy. They look good too.

I think all blue would look as good as all red. I will probably order a few epcos and kemet next mouser order. Maybe I could get patriotic and use all three!

Here's the Timmy guts:

And here's a board I did with the wimas. Look at those skinny 1uFs!

chromesphere

Epcos are made by Panasonic.  I like them.  When I price them on my store I have to try and keep them inline with The Big T.  The way I see it, if they are the same price as the arcotronics that "the big t" sells (USD -> AUD approx. the same cost) then they will be more tempting to buy the epcos's from my store which has worked for me so far.  Of course, I don't have all the values :(  I would like to eventually stock a larger range of both the ECQV's and Epcos's as I really don't think there is much need for any other capacitor beside these 2.
http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12_13
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Leevibe

Quote from: chromesphere on March 13, 2014, 06:42:01 PM
Epcos are made by Panasonic.  I like them.  When I price them on my store I have to try and keep them inline with The Big T.  The way I see it, if they are the same price as the arcotronics that "the big t" sells (USD -> AUD approx. the same cost) then they will be more tempting to buy the epcos's from my store which has worked for me so far.  Of course, I don't have all the values :(  I would like to eventually stock a larger range of both the ECQV's and Epcos's as I really don't think there is much need for any other capacitor beside these 2.
http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12_13
Paul

Is shipping to US competitive?

chromesphere

up to 50 grams is $3.00 (untracked).  If all your buying is caps, you can get quite a few for $3.00.  :D

Blues Healer

I like Kemet MMKs, the Panasonic ECBs, and the Epcos ... it kinda depends on the value and quantity: Epcos has a great price break at 100 per, but Panasonic are affordable at 10 per, and sometimes more compact. I like the fact that Kemet values are easy to read when they're installed, just to double check things.

I agree the Wimas have a swagger ... in fact I'm gonna try to build a Cardinal with Wimas, just 'cause.

Epcos are made by Panasonic.
I'm sure you meant to say TDK.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epcos
"music heals"

chromesphere

Quote from: Blues Healer on March 13, 2014, 06:53:30 PM

Epcos are made by Panasonic.
I'm sure you meant to say TDK.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epcos

Somewhere in the past I lodged "epcos = Panasonic" in my brain.  You are quite right sir, thank you for correcting me there!

Stomptown

I'm all about the Panasonic film caps for aesthetic reasons. I've used epcos/arcotronics/kemet and they are all fine, but I agree that performance wise a cap is a cap. Those burgandy films just do it for me. I have Juansolo and all of his awesome builds to thank for my addiction! Luckily they are pretty cheap in bulk...

Leevibe

Quote from: Stomptown on March 13, 2014, 07:12:18 PM
I'm all about the Panasonic film caps for aesthetic reasons. I've used epcos/arcotronics/kemet and they are all fine, but I agree that performance wise a cap is a cap. Those burgandy films just do it for me. I have Juansolo and all of his awesome builds to thank for my addiction! Luckily they are pretty cheap in bulk...

Can't argue Jon. I wish they weren't going away!!

Blues Healer

Quote from: chromesphere on March 13, 2014, 07:08:15 PM

Somewhere in the past I lodged "epcos = Panasonic" in my brain.  You are quite right sir, thank you for correcting me there!

haha ... I only know, 'cause I was curious, and clicked on their company info on Mouser's site!
"music heals"