News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Uh oh, is it screwed?

Started by MJL90, March 27, 2011, 01:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJL90

Building and egodriver and I have a feeling i burnt the circuit board. the solder ring for C3 had come off, it's gone a bit black, and the solder won't stick. I really need a solder sucker

jtn191

check out this thread http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=476.0

It's happened to me--most of which was due to poor soldering technique and equipment.
Make sure to use a low-ish wattage (20-30 W or so) iron with clean tips. Also make sure to tin the tip, which aides heat transfer

MJL90

That's so so helpful thanks. My cheap soldering iron broke, I think it burnt out, so using an old one with a bigger top :(

gtr2

Be careful with that iron.  I've got a hakko now but if your in the US Lowes carries a low watt Weller in the stores that works great.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_123251-273-SP23LHPK_0__?productId=1007639&Ntt=weller&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dweller

josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jtn191

I got a 25 W Weller "Hobby Iron" from Lowes that has worked ok but I'm not thrilled about. Besides wattage, you've also gotta worry about tip length and size. As far as I know, there isn't any way to buy screw-in replacement tips for those (and similar) irons

gtr2

Quote from: jtn191 on March 27, 2011, 04:25:45 PM
I got a 25 W Weller "Hobby Iron" from Lowes that has worked ok but I'm not thrilled about. Besides wattage, you've also gotta worry about tip length and size. As far as I know, there isn't any way to buy screw-in replacement tips for those (and similar) irons

You can find them online, I bought some for that exact iron.  The original tip if cared for should last a long time though.  Desoldering I find is much harder on tips, so depending on how much your doing you can ruin some tips.  I just use an old tip for desoldering for this reason.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pauloman80

Here's another vote for the low-wattage Weller.  Guy on another message board shipped me one for free as he "can't stand the thought of someone using a Radio Shack soldering iron for PCB work."  ;D  I still have the Radio Shack one, usually reserve it for bigger jobs as it's a bit hotter.
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80