News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Evidence of gravitational waves from cosmic microwave background radiation found

Started by midwayfair, March 17, 2014, 08:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Nothing to do with pedals, but basically this discovery is one of the most important discoveries in physics in decades; it's on par with the Higgs boson to say the least and provides evidence for Inflation Theory, which solves some of the biggest problems in trying to figure out how the Big Bang got so, well, Big.

Here's a NYT article about it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/18/science/space/detection-of-waves-in-space-buttresses-landmark-theory-of-big-bang.html?ref=science&_r=1

ch1naski

I didn't read the article yet....did they detect the waves with LIGO? (I'm a total physics nerd. Was thinking about getting a Feynman tattoo....lol)

Curt.

one louder.

midwayfair

Quote from: ch1naski on March 17, 2014, 10:41:09 PM
I didn't read the article yet....did they detect the waves with LIGO? (I'm a total physics nerd. Was thinking about getting a Feynman tattoo....lol)

Curt.

BICEP2 in Antarctica.

If anyone's on REDDIT, there's a really big discussion thread. http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/20n0zn/official_askscience_inflation_announcement/

I'd also expect an AMA as soon as the AskScience or Science mods are able to get one of the people involved.

madbean

Yeah, this is a big deal! Very exciting.

Totally useless trivia: Kip Thorne and Hawking had a bet on whether or not gravitational waves would ever be discovered. I think the bet was $10. Somebody gonna get paid.

aballen

Cool stuff, but I still Ned Michiu Kaku to to explain it to me before I can pretend to understand it.

ch1naski

Quote from: madbean on March 17, 2014, 11:44:47 PM
Yeah, this is a big deal! Very exciting.

Totally useless trivia: Kip Thorne and Hawking had a bet on whether or not gravitational waves would ever be discovered. I think the bet was $10. Somebody gonna get paid.
I know they had a bet that included a subscription to Penthouse magazine, but I think it was about black holes....

This has been quite an exciting couple of years for physics

Curt.

one louder.

RobA

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

kothoma

hoodoo

What would become our observable universe mushroomed in size at least a trillion trillionfold  :o. You know, i had some concerns and was worried about something that had happened recently in my life, not anymore. Puts things in perspective  :)