News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion Refractor (non - Madbean)

Started by ncdb07, April 04, 2014, 05:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncdb07

A buddy asked me to build him a Klone and wanted it to be pretty close to the original as far as external looks go. I couldn't find the right knobs these are similar but smaller. He also wanted silver instead of gold.

I would like to thank Kevin from Aion for helping me to get the polarity right on some electrolytic resistors.

I don't remember where I read about changing C14 to 8n2 from 3n9 but I had written it down and socketed it. I like it better with the 8n2 it seems fatter. I also read about a mod for C8 to either remove it altogether or put it on a switch with  a lower value capacitor. I decided to use a 20pF as the lower value.

Thanks to those who shared their mods. I would like to individually thank you but I forgot who posted what.

It's not perfect, there are plenty of flaws, but it sounds great! I will have trouble parting with it. I understand what the hype is about now.

On to the pics:

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]
ncdb07
Daniel

lincolnic

juansolo

The 8n2 was from us when we back-to-backed a Sunking against a gold Klon. It was the only thing that was slightly out. Again, I'm sure the original trace is correct with the 3n9. Just the particular Klon we compared it to was slightly different. Anyhow we prefer it this way also ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

m-Kresol

way to go. Love the guts, very clean!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Jabulani Jonny

Very nice.  What's the C8 mod accomplish?
Jonathan

ncdb07

Quote from: juansolo on April 05, 2014, 12:02:39 AM
The 8n2 was from us when we back-to-backed a Sunking against a gold Klon. It was the only thing that was slightly out. Again, I'm sure the original trace is correct with the 3n9. Just the particular Klon we compared it to was slightly different. Anyhow we prefer it this way also ;)

Thanks again for that! Seems to fatten up the sound quite nicely!
ncdb07
Daniel

ncdb07

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on April 05, 2014, 05:11:54 AM
Very nice.  What's the C8 mod accomplish?

With the gain knob down I don't notice much, but with it over half way it adds more gain and scoops the mids a touch. Seems like it adds presence, a little extra sparkle.

My rig is pretty high gain so it's not needed but in a different rig it is probably awesome.

This is my first experience with a Klon other than reading about them on the web and watching demos on Youtube. I understand completely why some people dislike them and others think they are the holy grail. It all depends on playing style, equipment and location. I have built a bunch of boosts and for me this is the one. I am using it in a bedroom situation where I can't turn up loud. It gives me exactly the feeling and sound of a loud tube amp at a lower volume. I am not a solo player but it makes me want to play solos. It makes it feel very liquidy and smooth, with nice sustain. Also with the 3n9 cap in place it feels a little stiffer, switch it out for the 8n2 and I love it. I will have a hard time parting with it. On the bright side I have 3 more pcb's from Kevin at Aion and I know one has my name on it.

ncdb07
Daniel

ncdb07

Quote from: lincolnic on April 04, 2014, 09:07:03 PM
That is some crazy neat wiring.

Thanks for the nice comment!  I spent a long time staring at it trying to visualize the routing. It is the most I have done in a while.

I have a couple more projects in the works I can't wait to share once they are done. One is hands down the best graphic I have ever done. And the other will be fun. They are both for my Uncle and are his concept for what he wanted them to look like. Un fortunately for me it means bigger enclosures (more room for graphics) and lots of wiring.
ncdb07
Daniel

nzCdog

Nice build man, very tidy... as klone as they get ;)

das234

Did you use 1/8w resistors at all?  It looks like maybe a couple on the switch.

rullywowr

So. Damn.  Clean. 

That gets a "Wow!" from me.  Super nice inside and out!  I like the careful application of heat shrink tubing at the connections for the finishing touch.   Excellent job overall and Aion does a really great job with his PCB layouts, making this a pleasure to build i'm sure.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

brucer

That wiring is an inspiration!  I've picked up a Refractor PCB too.  I'll definitely be re-checking your pic's as a "how to" when I build it up.  Thanks for sharing!

ncdb07

Thanks for the kind words!

There are 1/8th watt resistors on the footswitch.

Here is another one recently finished for my Uncle's guitar tech. The enclosure color is Mammoth's vintage orange sparkle translucent. The knobs are from Jameco.

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]
ncdb07
Daniel

Droogie

Those are both sweet looking, inside and out!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric