News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Granny's Klon (Sunking)

Started by haveyouseenhim, March 17, 2014, 09:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I don't usually gush over klones, but this one is exceptionally well-done. Your granny will be super pleased with it, I'm sure.

peAk

wowzers!

That looks incredible!

jkokura

That's just gorgeous! Well done and bravo.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

haveyouseenhim

Wow!  Thanks guys. I hope she likes it as much as you guys do. ;D
Lots of work went into it so I'm glad to see it paid off.

Quote from: jprizz on March 18, 2014, 07:24:13 AM
That's really cool! Do you do anything to protect the lettering afterwards?

Believe it or not, crayon is surprisingly durable. Like I said, a gunsmith showed me how to do that. I filled the lettering on my handgun and it hasn't messed up at all after a few thousand rounds through it. Even when it gets warm from shooting and the slide cycling. And going in and out of my holster it hasn't chipped or melted.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

billstein

Beautiful build. Lucky Grandma!

lincolnic

That looks terrific, can't wait to see the video.

hylandren

Wow, an exceptionally good looking pedal!

White Crayon on the etch, huh? Seriously? How do you keep the edges so clean when you clean away the excess ? I am intrigued, if you care to give more details...

Kinki fuzz

danwelsh

Willybomb

I'm going to have a go at this waxing the crack thing...  Do you have a link to the crayon/wax you used?

sturgeo

Wonderful looking pedal, one of my favourite klons yet!

I tried this technique yesterday as was having issues with the contrast after laser engraving. I used a normal wax crayon I had, I imagine most will work just fine.

I heated the enclosure from inside for about 10 seconds with a small blow torch, not focussing the heat too much on one spot. Then attempted to colour in the engraving, the crayon melts and fills it nicely. I put a little excess on and made sure it was all a uniform colour. Popped it in the freezer for 5-10 mins, got it out and rubbed the top with a soft cloth, the friction causes enough heat to remove any excess wax and leaves the engraved area filled.

Willybomb

Are we clearcoating over the wax?  Or will that not work?

peAk

I love this build and it was one of my votes in the spring contest.

....just has that super slick "wow" factor.