News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A smaller 3pdt stomp.

Started by Clayford, March 19, 2014, 10:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clayford

We can build with them. We have the technology. We can make 1590a's tighter than before. Smaller...Cheaper...BLMS.

Ok lame but seriously, Cheggit!
http://bitcheslovemyswitches.com/#!/~/product/category=5027572&id=33283018

Looks like they might even have a shorter stroke.
"Great for applications where you need a smaller 3PDT footswitch.

They're built well, have epoxy and all that jazz."

Thoughts? Ideas? Discuss.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

Leevibe

I've used one that is similar if not identical in a very shallow enclosure. I think it was a 1550p. .83" overall height and the lugs cleared the lid. I want to say it was alpha but I honestly don't remember the brand. I believe I bought it from mammoth.

Stomptown

I've used the ones that mammoth sells that look identicle to those. The solder lugs are very small and it is pretty difficult to thread the wire through them. That being said, they are good for tight builds and I haven't had any problems with them. They are not that much smaller so I can't see them being that much of a benefit even in a typical 1590A build. Of course there are exceptions and they do come in handy in certain situations. Here is a super tight 1590A build that would not have worked without them:

jkokura

Yeah, these have been out for a couple years I think.

BLMS and Mammoth have the same/similar sources methinks.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

Yeah, I've built with a couple of these, they're tight to wire, you can't use a 3PDT board on them, they are definitely in the "flimsy" department, and don't save a pile of real estate.

Long story short, the three I have left will only get used in builds where I absolutely cannot get a standard 3PDT into them.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

culturejam

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 20, 2014, 09:13:19 AM
you can't use a 3PDT board on them

I think what you mean is, "a 3PDT board does not yet exist for them". Sounds like an opportunity to me.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

GermanCdn

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

alanp

That's no great loss, I don't think I've ever used a board for a 3PDT. Apart from that bloody 1590A flanger that still doesn't bloody work.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

chromesphere

Soldering onto compact 3pdt lugs is like soldering on to the eye of a needle.  You need microsurgeon hands to do it.  Huge pita.  In fact I would go as far as saying a 3pdt board is the only way to use them....BUT...your using up the space with the board that you were originally saving by using the compact 3pdt in the first place....!!! <head explodes>
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

GrindCustoms

Ordered some to test out and also sent him an email to know if he was going to stock them in 2PDT, would be awesome for optotron bypass and other applications.

If quality is there, i'm a happy camper, newer production stuff is designed around this type of FS.

Agreed, these without a daughter board are standing on top of the PITA list....
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Stomptown

Another negative to these switches (mammoth version) is that you have to push really hard to engage them. Not that its an issue with your foot, but are a bit rough IMO