News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need help identifying a cap

Started by flanagan0718, March 20, 2014, 09:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Hey guys, Am I right when I say the cap marked "1000 j 400" is a 1uf box film cap. My brain says if a "100 j" is a .1uf then a "1000 j" should be a 1uf. Thanks.

midwayfair

flanagan0718

gtangas

Get Google DMM with cap readings... Hehhe

It helps a lot...

Sérgio

PimpMyTone

Personally all my caps that are marked 1000 are 1 nf  so 1000pf  not 1000 nf .
Simon

Clayford

That would be a really small 1µf 400v box cap. Smaller than his 1µf 63v behind it. That it is a 1nF makes much more sense. Does your dmm do capacitance ?
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

flanagan0718

Quote from: Clayford on March 24, 2014, 10:50:23 AM
That would be a really small 1µf 400v box cap. Smaller than his 1µf 63v behind it. That it is a 1nF makes much more sense. Does your dmm do capacitance ?

It does but I've yet to figure out how to use that setting. Every time I try I get nothing. Granted it's a crappy one from HF but the transistor tester works. I also have a BluePoint (by Snap-on) DMM but I haven't tried that one (for the cap tester).

Clayford

If it's this one, it doesn't.
If it's this one it does by using the Cx inserts after selecting the correct range. If you have the green and grey rebadged Mastech, you have an very decent meter.

If the leads are too short, you can add some wire with clips and or solder. You'll not get precision, but enough to know that it's a 1n 10n 100n or 1µ. My money is on the 1n.

There are several Snap-on Bluepoint DMMs. I've never messed with one. the results I could pull up on google didn't appear to have capacitance functions.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Clayford on March 24, 2014, 11:26:45 AM
If it's this one, it doesn't.
If it's this one it does by using the Cx inserts after selecting the correct range. If you have the green and grey rebadged Mastech, you have an very decent meter.

If the leads are too short, you can add some wire with clips and or solder. You'll not get precision, but enough to know that it's a 1n 10n 100n or 1µ. My money is on the 1n.

There are several Snap-on Bluepoint DMMs. I've never messed with one. the results I could pull up on google didn't appear to have capacitance functions.

It's the first one...damn! Looks like I need to get a new DMM. The BP one is kinda useless for this stuff. It's made mainly for Automotive stuff. I've had my eyes on an auto-ranging DMM for a couple of months now. AMAZON PRIME TO THE RESCUE!!!

Govmnt_Lacky

My bet is 1000pF 400V

Or.... 1nF 400V. I agree... it is wayyyyy too small to be a 1uF box cap  :-\

Clayford

I recommend this one. There was a thread a bit back that myself and a couple of others weighed in on, and Haberdasher recommended the VC97.

Either DMM is a solid $30 DMM. This kit was also discussed to be a dedicated cap measuring device.

I've sanitized all the amazon links, no referral codes in there.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Clayford on March 24, 2014, 12:42:03 PM
I recommend this one. There was a thread a bit back that myself and a couple of others weighed in on, and Haberdasher recommended the VC97.

Either DMM is a solid $30 DMM. This kit was also discussed to be a dedicated cap measuring device.

I've sanitized all the amazon links, no referral codes in there.

I did keep a solid eye on that thread! I've had the Maestech in my "save for later" for quite some time now. Time to pull the trigger.

gtangas

I have a uni-t 61e and it's a beauty... Fast Automatic range, high value caps reading, fast cont test... USB connection... Very nice
The only thing that lacks its the hfe reading... But I have an old one to that..

The VC97 is a nice option to... There is some very nice reviews and it as a nice price

Check out on YouTube the eevblog digital multimeter review...

flanagan0718

I've been looking at a couple of DMMs. There is the INNOVA and the Mastech. Those are the 2 contenders for me right now. I'm gonna sell my automotive (bluepoint/snapon) one and use the money to grab one of those. Luckily my crappy Harbor Freight one (only spent $7 on it) has an Hfe reader. In case anyone wanted to see the two.
INNOVA
http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3320-Auto-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B000EVYGZA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1395751366&sr=8-4&keywords=digital+multimeter
Mastech
http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-MS8268-Digital-Manual-Multimeter/dp/B0050LVFS0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395751414&sr=8-2&keywords=digital+multimeter

midwayfair

Quote from: Clayford on March 24, 2014, 10:50:23 AM
That would be a really small 1µf 400v box cap. Smaller than his 1µf 63v behind it.

Wait, you're right. I didn't blow up the picture and thought it was bigger than it is.