News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rusty-looking pedals?

Started by Rich_S, September 06, 2010, 07:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_S

Help me out, friends.  Somewhere on one of the many effects forums, I saw a guy who makes sort of post-apocalyptic pedals - rusty looking with stamped metal nameplates.  Like James Trussart stompboxes, or something out of Mad Max.

I have some enclosures that would make really cool pedals - they flat balck crinkle-finish, but normal labeling won't work on them.  I'm hoping I can track this guy down for some of his stamped metal tags - they'd look great on these boxes.

Anybody know who I'm talking about, and which forum I likely saw him on?
I am using you; am I amusing you? - Martha Johnson

jkokura

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/

Check out the pictures area for ideas. I think there's a tutorial in there somewhere for copper plating enclosures - that would produce what you want.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pandadandan

jkokura

nope. That's a copper piece fixed to a brushed aluminum enclosure. What I was talking about was the entire enclosure getting a copper plating treatment. It looks all industrial/apocalyptic.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Rich_S

Well, you're both right.  That copper-plating Steam Punk guy was the one I was remembering, but pandadandan's photo is kind of what I have in mind.  I want to afix some stamped copper nameplates to these black crinkle-finish boxes.

Is there anybody out there in MadBeanLand who can make a couple for me?
I am using you; am I amusing you? - Martha Johnson

night-B

It's possible but you need to use steel or iron enclosures. Hammond make some of them but not on the "standard" 1590b or 1590bb size usually used in pedals, so take care of the dimensions.
Then there are several methods to rust your enclosure:
- you can leave it outside for a couple of weeks
- you can leave it in salted water for days (about a week)
James Trussart uses true animal skin for his snake or aligator finish. He sandwiches the skin between the enclosure and a press. Put it in water and let it rust for about 2 weeks.

Then stop the rusting action by spraying an antirust can on it. You can engrave the rust with a dremel if you like, then clearcoat the enclosure .
I'm new to this method so I'm still experimenting !
Have fun  ;)