News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SHO and The Super Duper thing of two and one thing

Started by she sells sea shells, March 23, 2014, 09:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

she sells sea shells

oka y so I got the 3 x pcb from oshpark that I found on this forum and I was thinking to myself while waiting for the shipping to happen.
can I just run one hard on into another hard on inside the box?

would this be super duper?

because I have three hard ons to go around would possiblity of 3 sound good?

DutchMF

The Superduper actually has a volume control added to the second SHO stage, check out MB's Firebomb (you can find it here http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5134.0 in the discontinued projects section) to see how to incorporate this, shouldn't be too hard to incorporate.

Since two SHO's are already capable of damaging an amp, I don't think it would be a good idea to stack three of them, but who knows, it might sound cool....... For a very short time!  ;D

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

she sells sea shells

so the design is two in series and the second has a volume control?

I already have the two little pcbs shipping so can I mod this somehow

link to pcb

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73135424/Super%20Hard%20On/fo-SHO%20v1.1.PDF

I'll go over both the firebomb and this circuit diagrams and see what is up

she sells sea shells

thanks for the help I know what to do after looking at diagram of hard ons

midwayfair

Quote from: DutchMF on March 23, 2014, 09:39:14 AM
Since two SHO's are already capable of damaging an amp

Paul, you should know better than to perpetuate nonsense like this. There is no possible way you will damage an amp with the volume output of a booster running on 9V, 18V, split rail 9/-9, 18/-9, 18/-18, or even 120V (tube).

Two SHOs in series does not give more volume boost than 27dB in any case; one will overdrive the other. A single SHO already coaxes the maximum gain out of a MOSFET and it will hit the power rails at 27dB, which is why they don't sound clean.

JohnL

To add a volume control replace the 100K resistor with a 100K audio pot. I do this on all my SHOs, makes them useful to me. There was a whole thread at FSB or DIYstomp on how two SHOs were a Super duper and four were something else. Poke around there, it was interesting reading.

DutchMF

Quote from: midwayfair on March 23, 2014, 12:43:39 PM
Quote from: DutchMF on March 23, 2014, 09:39:14 AM
Since two SHO's are already capable of damaging an amp

Paul, you should know better than to perpetuate nonsense like this. There is no possible way you will damage an amp with the volume output of a booster running on 9V, 18V, split rail 9/-9, 18/-9, 18/-18, or even 120V (tube).

Two SHOs in series does not give more volume boost than 27dB in any case; one will overdrive the other. A single SHO already coaxes the maximum gain out of a MOSFET and it will hit the power rails at 27dB, which is why they don't sound clean.

Jon, sadly I don't have the time (or the will, for that matter) to delve into the science behind our wonderfull hobby as deeply as you have, so I have to rely on reliable sources, like yourself, or in this case Brian, to further my knowledge.
QuoteThe Firebomb has a HUGE amount of boost on tap. Use caution when adjusting the gain controls so
that you do not damage your amplifier by pushing it too hard.
This came straight from the Firebomb build docs, and I apologize if it is not correct. BTW, I also don't have the funds to test this statement, as replacing my amp might seriously mess up the mortgage payments  ;D Anyway, thanks for setting this straight, I'll keep this in mind when using my Firebomb build next time! Now I do want to know what three stacked SHO's sound like.....

Paul

"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

she sells sea shells

on the zvex website it says the super duper will maybe blow up your amp
I am not worried though because I won't do that

thank you for the help

davent

Aren't the Box of Rock and the Box of Metal just the continued stacking of SHO's?

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

electrosonic

Cool idea - get the three (rullywowr) OSH park SHO boards for something like $5, and connect two to make a Super Duper. It would be simple to wire in the master volume at the output.

The madbean version is here.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Firebomb/docs/Firebomb.pdf

Andrew.

she sells sea shells

yes I have the three coming in the post.
I only just learned of the super duper and now I will do it
thank you