First Veroboard and first 1590a + first envirotex like coating experienceTreble booster

Started by Gledison, March 24, 2014, 10:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Gledison

Quote from: muddyfox on March 24, 2014, 11:43:53 PM
Quote from: Gledison on March 24, 2014, 11:39:23 PM
Buy in my case i have a paint that doesnt need borax, what is nice!

Care to share a seller/brand? Perhaps they have an EU online store?
Sure man!
Its call magic marble from Kreul.
Let me know if u need something else.
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Gledison

Quote from: muddyfox on March 24, 2014, 01:21:40 PM

So you swirl it with a lid on? No chipout?

I wish I had place to experiment with swirling....
I had a chip out but due to the envirotex( couldnt get it right)
The swirling paint layer is very thin and i never had problems when opening the lid. I like the way it looks as one piece!;P

muddyfox

So let me get this straight (as this could get pretty fun pretty fast if there's no borax involved!  ;D )...

- do you prime the enclosures before you swirl (I see your box is white on the inside?)
- how opaque is the paint? Can it be used on bare aluminum?
- how does it work on powdercoat?
- do you need clearcoat to protect it? I'm thinking ET but only on the top, what about the sides, how sturdy is it?

Gledison

Quote from: muddyfox on March 25, 2014, 02:40:34 AM

So let me get this straight (as this could get pretty fun pretty fast if there's no borax involved!  ;D )...

- do you prime the enclosures before you swirl (I see your box is white on the inside?)
- how opaque is the paint? Can it be used on bare aluminum?
- how does it work on powdercoat?
- do you need clearcoat to protect it? I'm thinking ET but only on the top, what about the sides, how sturdy is it?
So...
-I primed the enclosure with a white automotive primer for aluminum. Without a primer the marble paint doesn't stick so well!
-the opacity depends on how thick is ur coat! The problem is: if u have to much paint you will have runs (the water drops will carry the paint through the surface. I always use 20 drops of the main color and 5 of the secondary ones.
- i cant yell you how it works in powdercoats but i assume that will stick well! Its a very hydrophobic formulated paint.
- clear coat! Definitely! The swirling coat is very thin! My best results were with acrylic automotive lacquer! Ive tried a ET like resin and the nightmares where exactly on the sides! The ET shrank slightly on the top giving a 'round surface' around the edges!
If u are good with ET process, do it! Its much more resistant. As i wanted to protect the sides i had some issues....
Hope it helps