News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Uproar Clipping Problem- No change in modes

Started by thorpy6, March 29, 2011, 03:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorpy6

Im having the same problems as others here, red leds light up in all three settings. No discernible difference in tone between the 3 switch settings (on/off/on) .
I have tried the following:

Reflowed all solder joints
checked resistor values
Checked capacitor values
Checked diode protection orientation
Swapped ICS
Removed the switch, removed all diodes except the red ones.
Removed the red ones and left everything else in.
removed the PD resistor

In all but 1 case the clipping does not change. When i remove the red leds the volume jumps as i appear to get opamp distortion.

Has anyone seen similar things and if so do you have a solution

madbean

Adrian, are you using an SPDT on/off/on or a DPDT? Do you have an On/On/On DPDT?

thorpy6

its an spdt on/off/on the same as the wiring diagram. i do have an dpdt on/on/on in my parts bin though. what do you have in mind?

madbean

Since you have the on/on/on, I would try this: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=1288.0

The switch set up in the original is basically a hack suggested by someone on FSB. It gives you most of the same clipping style, but to do it just like the Riot, follow the instructions in the link above.

I'm surprised that people are having trouble with the hack method....there is a noticeable difference in the three positions on mine. However, I also did some subs for the diodes, so that may be why it is more pronounced on my build.

I should probably change the documentation to just show the DPDT way. Those are a bit harder to get, though.

thorpy6

Ill give this a go and report back, ON?ON?ON dpdt aren't as hard to get as 100k lin dual 16mm pots, those are liking rocking horse poo.

thorpy6

So for those that need to know, i did the madbean recommended fix and it works very well and is much closer to the original now. Cheers Bean

irmcdermott

Resurrecting another thread from the dead....

Does anyone have this wiring diagram? I built the Uproar to the docs specs and have no change in the different modes.