News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Echo base

Started by night-B, March 29, 2011, 06:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

night-B

I've just purchased an echo base PCB from jLivingston
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Analog-style-guitar-delay-PCB-DIY-Echo-Base-pedal-/150576804491?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item230f13b28b
I've been very surprised when I saw the PDF with the building instructions.
There only two lugs of the 3pdt switch wired, one wire from the board to each of the jacks, and absolutely no ground.
I know it's not a MBP project but it would be cool if someone can explain me how does it work to bypass without a single ground...  ???
I don't know if I can post the doc here, I think I must ask mr livingston himself

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'm right behind you on this one! This is one of my next builds so I'm gonna like to see how yours goes!  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

night-B

I need to finish my uproar and gather all the stuff I need first. Maybe yours will be finished first.
The demos are awesome, I'm really excited with it! I'll also build the MBP delay, I ordered some extra chips  ;)

gtr2

Long story short...

Its not true bypass.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

Yes, the echo base was designed by slacker to have a buffer. This is what allows you to have the tails function. You can build it it to be true bypass if you want to though. You shoul also know that the LED flashes in time with the modulation, which is why you shoul use the one board LED indication.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

cjkbug

have no fear, I've built it a year or so ago. and it's a really nice sounding delay. the modulation can get really severe and seasickness inducing. and it can be really loud in the mix. unlike the carbon copy's
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

petesz

I also just purchased an echo base pcb, keen to build it up!

night-B

Thanks! I'm waiting for the parts now and... I forgot an enclosure! Damn, I'll pay the shipping a second time  :-\

k.rock!

I too have this project started in my bench and haven't finished it cause I haven't decided how many of the mods I'll be doing (there's just a whole lot!!) So for those who have built this before, I have a few questions as well:

1) I know this is not true bypass so it can have the tails function...is there any "noticeable" (subjective term) coloration of tone when the pedal is off?

2) Any of the mods you might recommend? In the same note, one you think it's not worth it?

3) How do you implement the Taptation circuit on this pedal?

I know all of these questions might already been answered at DSB forum but to be honest, I suck at finding a straight answer in there sometimes cause there's a lot of deviation of topics within each thread or sometimes each thread has hundreds of pages and I get tired of reading all of them to find a quick answer...I would really much prefer if someone could answer them here so that is easier for all of us building this project :)

(BTW....I am SO building a Zero Point when it's available...I can't wait!!  ;D)

Thanks in advance!

-Kaleb

God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

k.rock!

So did anybody finish this one up? Julien? Pete? Magic? :)

I still have mine unfinished as I have been deviated in building other projects and mostly I've been stopped because I'm interested in getting some feedback out those questions I posted on the previous post.

Anyone want to take a stab on answering any of these?  ;D
Please? hehe

Thanks!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jkokura

Quote from: k.rock! on April 01, 2011, 08:09:12 AM
I too have this project started in my bench and haven't finished it cause I haven't decided how many of the mods I'll be doing (there's just a whole lot!!) So for those who have built this before, I have a few questions as well:

1) I know this is not true bypass so it can have the tails function...is there any "noticeable" (subjective term) coloration of tone when the pedal is off?

2) Any of the mods you might recommend? In the same note, one you think it's not worth it?

3) How do you implement the Taptation circuit on this pedal?

I know all of these questions might already been answered at DSB forum but to be honest, I suck at finding a straight answer in there sometimes cause there's a lot of deviation of topics within each thread or sometimes each thread has hundreds of pages and I get tired of reading all of them to find a quick answer...I would really much prefer if someone could answer them here so that is easier for all of us building this project :)

(BTW....I am SO building a Zero Point when it's available...I can't wait!!  ;D)

Thanks in advance!

-Kaleb

I've built several of these Kaleb, in multiple variations with the Mods. I'm actually about to finish two more as well.

1. no, it's a toneless buffer. It's so you can have the tails function. I have tested it in a truebypass loop, no difference in sound as far as I could tell.

2. Lots of worthwhile mods. Depending on your guitar, the Humbucker mod might be neccessary, but only if you use high output pickups. I like the modulation switch to be available, but you can also turn the modulation off by reducing the speed and depth to 0. The oscillation function is going to be the mod I do on my next two, and I think it'll be cool. Having the tails on a switch is handy if you know you may or may not need it depending on the situation you're in.

3. There's lots of details on that over at DIY Stompboxes. You'll need to refer over there.

Sorry about that last one, but I hope I helped otherwise.

jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

k.rock!

Thanks a lot Jacob! 2 out of 3 still pretty cool man! haha :D thanks!

I usually play with single coils but sometime I play with a Les Paul Classic which has the high output 500T and 496R on it so I guess I'll need that switch...

The oscillation function is something that I'm really interested as well but also would be cool to have a momentary delay footswitch....maybe even put a toggle switch to use one or the other with the same momentary footswitch? It's an idea...

I've been spoiled by my DL4 with the tap tempo and I just can't imagine myself playing without it specially since playing live always throws surprises at you...:D

I'll go over there and summerge myself in the DIY ocean of posts to find how to implement the taptation haha but if someone else can help on that, it would be great! A link to a good post might do as well :D

Thanks again Jacob! You the man! Good luck on your builds :)

-Kaleb

God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

night-B

I just received all the stuff. I think I'll put the humbucker friendly mod, just in case... I dont know anything about the tap tempo sorry   :-\
I'll use enclosure etching for the first time, hope it'll turn good.

jkokura

Quote from: k.rock! on April 14, 2011, 02:35:12 PM
I usually play with single coils but sometime I play with a Les Paul Classic which has the high output 500T and 496R on it so I guess I'll need that switch...

Maybe, maybe not. High Output I'm more meaning EMG's and other mega pickups. I don't know the specs of those two, but I imagine they're just high output compared to PAF's, in which case they're more likely moderate output. Read up on DIY stompboxes and ask Slacker and Taylor what they think. They're the Echobase experts. Literally.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

k.rock!

That's a good tip. I'll do that...

The 500T and 496R pickups are ceramic and have one of the highest outputs among the standard Gibson humbuckers...Here's a chart they use on their site to compare with others:

But you're right, I'll ask these guys and see what they think about that...Thanks! :)
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com