News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Calling all powder coaters

Started by flanagan0718, March 26, 2014, 02:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Ok, so water slides are possible if fully dried and have absolutely no air bubbles. Has anyone tried Envirotex on a powder coated enclosure? What about doing a powder base hand paint the graphics the powder clear, or is that too many variables? I've been checking ebay for a good deal on an East wood gun but they all seem to run the same price. One more question, has, or does, anyone used the Craftsman compressor-less gun?

slimtriggers

Yeah, I use the Craftsman gun.  I've had it a couple of years now and it still works just fine.  When I bought mine Amazon was blowing them out for $27.  I wish I'd bought a second one to use just for clear coat.  The little cup that holds the powder is a real pain to remove and install. 

Here's the link to my original post about it:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=1785.msg29473#msg29473

chromesphere

Interesting to know people have had success with clear over waterslides.  I had a run of pedals I built, germanium boosters, they where white with a holographic flick and they looked awesome if I don't mind saying so.  But the clearcoat cracked incredibly easily.  I've gained a lot of experience since then and thinking about it now, I probably just undercured it!  All this talk is making me want to whip out the gun, wink wink ;-)

Oh yeah, and don't even try it with an inkjet decal.  The enamel / acrylic clearcoat you spray inkjet decals with will burn / brown in the toaster oven when you cure the PC clear coat at 150-200 degrees C.  Use a laserjet decal.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

rullywowr

I had an issue with the browning but I used an extra wire rack covered in tin foil wedged at the top of the oven. This stopped the browning of the decal but did not help the brittleness of the clear on top of the decal. If it gets hit, or you tighten a pot nut too much- the clear lifts on me. Not worth it IMO. Silkscreen, vinyl self adhesive decal, or waterslide/envirotex is the way to go.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

chromesphere

That's the exact problem I had Ben, figured it was from not curing long enough, but now im not so sure.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

flanagan0718

So you guys do a base of PC, a water slide, then Envirotex. I guess its time to look up this envirotex product.

davent

Could you use a stencil when applying a second contrasting colour/coat of powder, remove the stencil, then bake and have a nice stencilled image or would the second coat melt and spread leaving a Dali-esque image?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Fastocker

Quote from: davent on March 27, 2014, 09:58:55 PM
Could you use a stencil when applying a second contrasting colour/coat of powder, remove the stencil, then bake and have a nice stencilled image or would the second coat melt and spread leaving a Dali-esque image?

Yep, you can do this depending on the stencil material you use.  The way to do it is to shoot your first color and then cure/cool.  Apply your stencil (vinyl graphics will work), shoot your second color and then put it in the oven just for a minute or two . . . . just until the second color powder starts to flow.  Pull it out of the oven, let it cool and then carefully remove the stencil.  Then back in the oven for the full cure time.

Exception to the rule -- reds.  Reds bleed with other colors pretty easily.
Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe

davent

^Alright, good to know, thank you!

And beautiful job on the Tubescreamer!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

rullywowr

You can also use the heat resistant blue tape to mask or even cut out stencils. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

flanagan0718

Quote from: rullywowr on March 28, 2014, 08:41:01 AM
You can also use the heat resistant blue tape to mask or even cut out stencils. 

hmmm this ^ is interesting. You guys are a fountain of good information.

wgc

agree with the comments from most here, I've had good success with clear powder over a decal.

Must use laser print waterslide though.  I let them dry overnight, and almost never coat while its hot or even warm.

I did have one chip off but probably undercured.

blurry pic but you get the idea.

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

BuGG

This is most likely a topic for a new thread, but have any of you guys done any "DIY" screen printing?
I'm curious to know the bare minimum involved to get good quality results...

I figure at the least I'll need:

• Frame/screen
  • Some form of light box (or frame for sun exposure)
  • Photo emulsion and sensitizer
  • Transparent positives
  • Squeegee
  • And of course some sort of ink (vinyl?)

I feel like I might could get by without a press if I build some sort of makeshift rig to hold the enclosure/frame in place.
I'm really only looking to use a single color (generally either white or black) and only print on the face of the enclosure.

Ideally I'd like a self-tensioning screen frame so I can do one-offs without the need to buy tons of frames or fooling with emulsion remover too much.

Any thoughts?

flanagan0718

Quote from: BuGG on March 28, 2014, 10:38:38 AM
This is most likely a topic for a new thread, but have any of you guys done any "DIY" screen printing?
I'm curious to know the bare minimum involved to get good quality results...

I figure at the least I'll need:

• Frame/screen
  • Some form of light box (or frame for sun exposure)
  • Photo emulsion and sensitizer
  • Transparent positives
  • Squeegee
  • And of course some sort of ink (vinyl?)

I feel like I might could get by without a press if I build some sort of makeshift rig to hold the enclosure/frame in place.
I'm really only looking to use a single color (generally either white or black) and only print on the face of the enclosure.

Ideally I'd like a self-tensioning screen frame so I can do one-offs without the need to buy tons of frames or fooling with emulsion remover too much.

Any thoughts?

Check out this Thread. It just started last week.

hoodoo

Geez, I don't want, a powder coating setup, i neeeed a powder coating rig, right now, immediately. ;D You yanks are really spoilt for choice,(for most things)  ;) there's nothing cheap for sale here in Oz. I was looking yesterday and the cheapest rig i could find was near $600  :o, but i do have the compressor, toaster oven and a stepdown transformer already, so if anyone has a setup for sale or knows of a good deal going, let us know, thanks, Matt.