News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Calling all powder coaters

Started by flanagan0718, March 26, 2014, 02:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Quote from: hoodoo on March 28, 2014, 05:09:51 PM
Geez, I don't want, a powder coating setup, i neeeed a powder coating rig, right now, immediately. ;D You yanks are really spoilt for choice,(for most things)  ;) there's nothing cheap for sale here in Oz. I was looking yesterday and the cheapest rig i could find was near $600  :o, but i do have the compressor, toaster oven and a stepdown transformer already, so if anyone has a setup for sale or knows of a good deal going, let us know, thanks, Matt.

Hmm...that sounds like an rip off!  I got my gun for about $70 shipped on eBay.  The basic Eastwood gun like this:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastwood-Hotcoat-Powder-Coat-Powder-Coating-Gun-/360873624032?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5405be81e0&vxp=mtr

Since you have all the stuff already, all you really need is the gun, powder, and some grounding wire.  I would recommend getting a cheap moisture trap to put inline with the gun.  I also have a cheap air regulator on it as well.  The gun only needs like 5psi to work.  It's nice having the regulator inline so I can use the gun, and quickly switch to an air gun (at full pressure) to "clean" the gun by blowing the powder off it.  A lot of times, I will just "feather" the trigger on the powder gun because you don't need a lot of pressure at all.  Even the cheapest crappiest compressor will work just fine.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Fastocker

Just to illustrate using multiple colors -- here's a vibe pedal I did with four coats of powder.  First I applied the black chrome on the bottom half, cooled it, taped it off with high-temp masking tape and then shot dormant burgundy base coat on top.  I let the dormant burgundy heat up slightly then pulled it from the oven to cool.  I removed the tape and cured the dormant burgundy base coat.  After that cooled I masked off the beltline stripe, shot that with bright red, cured that and then cooled.  Final coat was clear over the entire box -- it activated the dormant burgundy and did a nice job of smoothing everything out.  You can't even feel the stripe with your fingernail.

Lots of good info and technique tips here -- http://www.powder365.com/forum/ -- a lot of those guys are hardcore pros but there's a lot of good information to be gleaned over there.  Check out the CUSTOMER PICTURES section to see some of the gorgeous work these guys can do.

Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe

hoodoo

Hey Ben, the 600 dollar ones, were the cheapest i could find in Australia, 240v and all. I have seen the cheapies that are in the link you posted, but they won't post to OZ and the ones that do want a fortune to do so. :'(

rullywowr

Quote from: hoodoo on March 28, 2014, 06:57:07 PM
Hey Ben, the 600 dollar ones, were the cheapest i could find in Australia, 240v and all. I have seen the cheapies that are in the link you posted, but they won't post to OZ and the ones that do want a fortune to do so. :'(

Damn dude, I would offer to ship you one but the 110v may be a problem..pretty sure they are not switching but I can check tmro.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jimmybjj

Quote from: Fastocker on March 28, 2014, 06:40:41 PM
Just to illustrate using multiple colors -- here's a vibe pedal I did with four coats of powder.  First I applied the black chrome on the bottom half, cooled it, taped it off with high-temp masking tape and then shot dormant burgundy base coat on top.  I let the dormant burgundy heat up slightly then pulled it from the oven to cool.  I removed the tape and cured the dormant burgundy base coat.  After that cooled I masked off the beltline stripe, shot that with bright red, cured that and then cooled.  Final coat was clear over the entire box -- it activated the dormant burgundy and did a nice job of smoothing everything out.  You can't even feel the stripe with your fingernail.

Lots of good info and technique tips here -- http://www.powder365.com/forum/ -- a lot of those guys are hardcore pros but there's a lot of good information to be gleaned over there.  Check out the CUSTOMER PICTURES section to see some of the gorgeous work these guys can do.

Super smooth! Curious how high did you let the temp get to? Did you let the burgundy flow or just warm?
Pcbs no longer available