News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Egghead Mods - any way to make it sound a little less thin?

Started by greysun, March 27, 2014, 09:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greysun

I built a couple eggheads last year cause 1) I had stuff to etch them and 2) I had the parts and wanted a simple overdrive.

The problem is that it's not quite living up the way I'd like it to. The presence is tough to hone in, and the sound is a little thin compared to clean tone.

Is there any way to beef up the sound a bit? I've read somewhere that C1 and C5 to 1uf could make a difference.

I'm not really looking for more distortion. I did use a slow loris in overdrive mode through the LED clip and it sounds good, but that has the opposite effect - too much bass.

Anyone have any advice on how I might be able to beef the tone up a bit on these Eggheads?

madbean

Increase C3 from 47n to either 100n or 150n. This will fatten it up. Socket to find your favorite value there.

greysun

MADBEAN TO THE RESCUE! I'll give that a try! :-) Thanks for the quick response!

greysun

here's a thinker... let's look at this like a mud bunny with mids mod... in that instance, a resistor (I think r18?) is replaced by a 25k pot with a 4k7 resistor across pins 1 and 2 and the sound can be further tweaked.

For this egghead pedal, in addition to the changing c3, can one of the resistors be replaced with a pot that can be used in addition to presence for tone control?

Just thinking out loud and seeing how much control I can get with this pedal. I like what it does, it's just not meshing well with my setup currently.