News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SMD thread

Started by icecycle66, March 28, 2014, 10:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

Do we have a single collective thread of SMD projects and boards available from the community?

Droogie

I was wondering the same thing—especially curious about filter and modulation circuits. I seem to be addicted.  :)
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

culturejam

The Wahscillator board I did is a hybrid of through-hole and SMD. The LFO passives are all surface mount.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

muddyfox

I have a fully smd autowah but its not working as expected right now. I just cant find the time to debug.
I also have a clarinot cubed deluxe built to diysb specs but again, cant find the time to even populate one to see if it works. :-S
So i'm not much help right now... :-)

There's my zendrive, barbershop and sweet honey but most of you peeps tried those...

sent from my mobile device

stevie1556

I have:

Verified:
TL071 buffer
Plexi Driver (Purple Plexi) - need to double check something though
Sparkle Booster
AM Radio - LOFO MOFO

Need Verifying:
Egghead
Deep Blue Delay
Yellow Snow - Snowjob
Afterlife
Zen Drive
Snarkdoodle
Reverb
Box of Hall
Sparkle Booster Deluxe
Super Hard On
Fuzzy Head - one knob fuzz
STD - OCD
Tape Delay Fuzz
SWAW
Smoothie

When i get some spare time, verifying them all is on my ever expanding list of things to do. Yes, I know, I think I'm addicted to SMD looking at the list above!

When they are verified, if anyone wants any copies, then let me know. The ones I won't sell spare boards of are the current MB boards (Egghead, Smoothie and Afterlife).

jimilee

I looked at some smd parts I have and I thought, what are those tiny metal flakes??? Crap that's smd. I need to jump in, but I'm skeered!!!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on March 29, 2014, 06:41:12 PM
I looked at some smd parts I have and I thought, what are those tiny metal flakes??? Crap that's smd. I need to jump in, but I'm skeered!!!

Just jump in.  The water's shallow.  You may hit your head at first, but you'll adjust quickly.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Quote from: pickdropper on March 29, 2014, 07:01:30 PM

Just jump in.  The water's shallow.  You may hit your head at first, but you'll adjust quickly.
I'll make it my next build. Gotta watch some YouTube videos and see how it's done I guess.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on March 29, 2014, 07:02:41 PM

Quote from: pickdropper on March 29, 2014, 07:01:30 PM

I'll make it my next build. Gotta watch some YouTube videos and see how it's done I guess.

Get the following (inexpensive) tools:

1.)  Tweezers (you can find them for a couple of bucks on eBay or elsewhere.  Even Tayda sells some now.

2.)  Get a flux pen.  The Kester 186 works well.

3.)  Get some magnification.  On the cheap ($10) you can get magnified jeweler's glasses from Amazon.  On the expensive, you can by a stereo zoom microscope.

4.)  Get a fine tip for your soldering iron. 

5.)  A toothbrush and some high-purity alcohol for cleaning boards.  Flux remover is much better, but is more expensive.  If you have a Fry's near you, they carry some Flux remover that is $6-7 a can and totally worth it.

Overall, you might spend $20-25, but it's a good start to get the tools you'll need.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Cool. Got the magnification glasses a while back when function fx released their stuff.

icecycle66

It's fun JImi.

It's like learning all over again, but you know what to expect.
And although a little more stressful than putting normal stuff together, it's not really that hard.

I know a few people have made a couple of smd board.
I was just look for a one stop thread for finding who has extras or fab runs they plan on doing.
Now that I like SMD, I'm scared I'm going to miss one.

stevie1556

Icecycle66 - if you did want any of mine, I have enough spare parts to supply them with the boards, as it will save people having to buy loads of stuff.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!