News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Addiction and How to Deal With It

Started by peAk, March 27, 2014, 06:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Hockey playing occasional pedal building geek here, neither activity cheap.

Give in to the urge, spend and build, resistance is futile... any 12 steps programs out there for pedal builders?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

chromesphere

Quote from: peAk on March 27, 2014, 06:42:56 PM
So this isn't a case where I am dealing with a mess, more like....my heads a mess...LOL.

Ahhh, I know this all to well Peak.  Heres some advice my mum gave to me when I was landscaping our backyard and the task just seemed insurmountable...

Start with one small job, don't look at everything else, just focus on that one small job.  When that's done, move onto the next one.

Its the ONLY way I can tackle a job / set of jobs infront of me when the mountain seems impossible to climb.  One step at a time.  Don't even LOOK at the top of the mountain.  Just focus on what it is that's directly infront of you.

Edit: oh yeah, I would also do what others have mentioned.  Build the board up as far as you can.  Highlight on the BOM what your missing.  Do 10 of them (or however many your comfortable with).  Order the missing bits.  Move onto the next ten.

All the best
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

flanagan0718

Hey peAk, I'm not that far behind you. Been building since July and modding for 2 years. I have probably only a dozen unpopulated boards, but probably 6-10 populated an tested just waiting for enclosures. The amount of on hand parts in my inventory has tripled in the past 6 months. I recently made a google spread sheet for my inventory. If you want I can share it with you...might at least be a good starting point. Just pm me your email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beedoola

I was never into it too hard but I did have some phases of heavy building. What deterred me was being physically uncomfortable at my work table building for hours; hunched over, not being outside. I need to be outside.

That and I've been on a pedal downsizing only having a few pedals on my board. I realized I should build less/search for "that tone," and just play more guitar.

I also bought a 3 channel head so that stopped my OD/Distortion question - I built so many!!

I do have parts on the way to built a 2 in 1 Demeter Tremulator and EQD Hummingbird.

peAk

guys, tons of good (and funny) advice here.

Some of the things I already do, some things are things I wish I did, others are things I never thought of.

I like the idea of making kits in Ziplock baggies. I have a few tackle style containers that I labeled 1, 2, 3, etc. on the compartments. I would put resistors, capacitors, etc. by number. So compartment 1 would contain: R1, C1, D1, etc. While I liked this method, I didn't like just having "one kit" ready. The only way to have multiple kits would have been to have like a million of these containers and it would just be overkill. The Ziplock method sounds better IF there was a way to keep resistors, capacitors, diodes named. I am not about to start reading color bands or testing every resistor when it comes to start building the kits. So maybe the idea of putting a piece of tape as a label (R1, R2..) would be efficient enough like someone mentioned.

I like the idea of just soldering 4 or 5 boards and just highlighting any missing components. Because like Jason posted, "sometimes I just feel like soldering". It definitely is a mental release for me.

Like Jimmy's sig, all the fun happens before you get in the box. I know this isn't true for every member but it's definitely true for me. I like building up the circuit, I love designing the graphic, don't mind the painting or the waterslide, I friggin hate fitting things in the enclosure. Obviously because it's my weakness. Time will hopefully make that part not as annoying.

Paul, it's funny that you mentioned about the advice that you mom gave you. Landscaping is my other full time hobby. Sometimes even with that hobby, I would find myself buying more plants than I could even find time to plant. I think I have an addictive personality and when I get into something, I go a little crazy and overboard.

Creating monthly and yearly goals like Jacob mentioned is something I think I really need to do. I think this could be the number one problem. Pretty much everything Jacob mentioned I wish I was doing but I am just not. I need to get focused. I need to have a plan.

alanp

I'm going to build out the stompbox boards I have, and try and shift focus to more synth stuff. Walls of modular synth look sexy, whereas bags of guitar pedals look a bit naff.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

peAk

Quote from: alanp on March 28, 2014, 02:43:13 AM
I'm going to build out the stompbox boards I have, and try and shift focus to more synth stuff. Walls of modular synth look sexy, whereas bags of guitar pedals look a bit naff.

While I agree that modular synths are sexy as he'll, damn they are pricey

TGP39

Wow. Excellent post and a bunch of fantastic ideas. I'm definitely going to use some of these ideas as soon as I can get my first pedal to work.  :) Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

Leevibe

Quote from: TGP39 on March 28, 2014, 04:34:18 AM
Wow. Excellent post and a bunch of fantastic ideas. I'm definitely going to use some of these ideas as soon as I can get my first pedal to work.  :) Steve.

Welcome Steve!

billstein

Pedal addiction. You don't deal with it. IT DEALS WITH YOU!

m-Kresol

Quote from: juansolo on March 27, 2014, 09:12:44 PM
Deal with it?  :o

Embrace the addiction!  ;D

It'd cost you a shit load more if it was cigarettes and you'll live a lot longer than if it was heroin.

My logic is flawless  :P

+1
You make some really good arguments. Although, we might have to only use lead-free solder and solder in a professionally ventilated area to live long. My electronics teacher was like "Don't use the Pb-containing solder, if you want kids without three arms." my answer: "Three arms would be the most awesome thing for soldering!"  ;D

But seriously, it really piles up very quickly. I'm at the point were I often have most of the resistors needed for a build. Mostly missing diodes and especially capacitors. But, I guess they will pile up as well. At 1.5€ for 100 pieces or 0.1€ for 1 piece if ordered seperately I guess the choice is rather clear...
I keep my resistors, diodes and capacitors in a kinda file card system, similar to just stuff it in envelopes. The rest of the parts is in a big box where I have to search forever to find stuff.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Strategy

Quote from: muehring on March 27, 2014, 07:42:41 PM
You could make kits for yourself.  Throw all the parts needed for the build in a bag.  Write the name on it and throw it in the corner.  Then it's ready to go whenever.  If you're missing parts make a list for next time you order.

this is exactly what I do

juansolo

Quote from: m-Kresol on March 28, 2014, 07:09:35 AM
Quote from: juansolo on March 27, 2014, 09:12:44 PM
Deal with it?  :o

Embrace the addiction!  ;D

It'd cost you a shit load more if it was cigarettes and you'll live a lot longer than if it was heroin.

My logic is flawless  :P

+1
You make some really good arguments. Although, we might have to only use lead-free solder and solder in a professionally ventilated area to live long. My electronics teacher was like "Don't use the Pb-containing solder, if you want kids without three arms." my answer: "Three arms would be the most awesome thing for soldering!"  ;D

But seriously, it really piles up very quickly. I'm at the point were I often have most of the resistors needed for a build. Mostly missing diodes and especially capacitors. But, I guess they will pile up as well. At 1.5€ for 100 pieces or 0.1€ for 1 piece if ordered seperately I guess the choice is rather clear...
I keep my resistors, diodes and capacitors in a kinda file card system, similar to just stuff it in envelopes. The rest of the parts is in a big box where I have to search forever to find stuff.

Caps, transistors and ICs are all in compartmentalised part boxes. Resistors are in marked bags of their values and in a big box. Everything has a box...

When pots and switches come in they get bagged up together and marked up as the actual build. This is so we don't re-use them for something else and end up missing parts when we get around to it.

Otherwise, we usually have around 10 builds on the go at any one time. Sometimes more (certainly when multis are involved), sometimes less. Without some sort of organisation it'd be a 'mare. Still, stuff will be strewn around the room so there is still chaos... But it's organised chaos.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

midwayfair

Quote from: m-Kresol on March 28, 2014, 07:09:35 AMAlthough, we might have to only use lead-free solder and solder in a professionally ventilated area to live long. My electronics teacher was like "Don't use the Pb-containing solder, if you want kids without three arms." my answer: "Three arms would be the most awesome thing for soldering!"  ;D

PSA time to allay some of these fears: Lead doesn't vaporize or burn at soldering temperatures, it melts, which is how it ends up on circuit boards. The flux and rosin are much more dangerous and often contain known carcinogens that, in high concentrations, are very dangerous. There may be trace lead particles in the solder fumes, and of course those build up over time, but again they aren't the primary danger. Just don't eat the solder, and was your hands after working, and lead poisoning for a hobbyist will not be a danger. You still want ventilation, of course.

Here's one source:
http://www.lbl.gov/ehs/ih/pdf/safeSolderingFinal.pdf
"Because of the relatively low temperatures in electronic soldering, fumes from these metal constituents themselves are not normally a concern. When solder contains a core of 1-3% flux, appropriate controls should be used."

I'm pretty sure this is similar to the wording in the NASA soldering guidelines, but I'm too lazy to dig through those at the moment.

Again, I'm not saying that ventilation isn't necessary!

TNblueshawk

Quote from: peAk on March 28, 2014, 12:12:57 AM
So maybe the idea of putting a piece of tape as a label (R1, R2..) would be efficient enough like someone mentioned

peAk, I failed to mentioned this part of the baggie process. What I decided to do, and I got this from someone a long time ago as I recall, was buy a box of the old coin envelopes  http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/478259/Office-Depot-Brand-Coin-Envelopes-2/ 

You might say great, more money to spend and this is true but it is the method I chose to use. What I would do is use one of these for all the same values of caps, res, diodes etc... I also put IC's in there and whatever. So if I have say ten 10k's I would put all ten in the one envelope and circle 10 on it etc... down the list. That way they are not scattered about in the bag. I don't bother to lable R1 or C1 etc... I just use the BOM to identify and then grab the value.

The other reason I put a number such at ten 10k's is if I end up short or one too many I know something is up and I screwed up. I've caught myself on this say using a 4.7k instead of a 47k before and am able to desolder right there as opposed to hours of troubleshooting later...been there and done that too.

Then when it comes time to build I would say pull out all my resistors envelopes and lay them out in order above me on the table. Grab my board and go. Repeat.

It is just something that works for my brain. How long that box of envelopes lasts really depends on the number of parts per build. I've never done this but you could reuse it at least once by flipping it over and writing on them. Make sure you scratch out the old writing on it though!

Anyway, that's how I roll  ;D
John