News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

IDA Tusk OD Proto

Started by GrindCustoms, March 29, 2014, 01:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marauder

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 29, 2014, 11:34:40 AM
First reply and WIN! I can't seem to find my mouser bag of 82nf.. so i went with a 100nf...  ::)

That's the mojo out of the door, we all know the mojo is in the odd parts values, and unicorn tears.

BTW the Behemoth PCB is built and working, just waiting for John to do a decal.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: marauder on March 29, 2014, 11:57:30 AM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 29, 2014, 11:34:40 AM
First reply and WIN! I can't seem to find my mouser bag of 82nf.. so i went with a 100nf...  ::)

That's the mojo out of the door, we all know the mojo is in the odd parts values, and unicorn tears.

BTW the Behemoth PCB is built and working, just waiting for John to do a decal.

Haha! Indeed, just for testing out... the value swap does'nt hurt anything.. have some 82nf on their way, will swap the cap once they're in.

Yes Sir! John showed me the graphic layout yesterday....going to be killer! 8)

At first i thought you where going to build it for guitar, but you did it for bass, if i knew i would have sent you my build notes for bass... but John also showed me the change you made.. going to try some of that later today, some little differences with what i was doing, mainly R14 and that i was using a 390nf in C2... just to have a simplier BOM...
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

marauder

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 29, 2014, 11:46:39 AM
I've at least took the time to build it on a card table.

My card table is like that where the drill bit has touched it.

We built a klone a while ago which the owner wanted more bottom, so did the C2 mod, but someone mentioned that reducing R14 to 1K5 from 15K added even more bottom.  Tried it and found it a little too mushy, so we changed it for a trimmer.

I  just chose the 4K7 as its around where the trimmer was set, sounds great.  Best bass OD I've heard through my non bass gear, a Crate Powerblock and a 1x12 with a 55hz celestion G12H.  Very Motorhead even without a Ric.

jimilee

Quote from: sonarchotic on March 29, 2014, 07:12:20 AM
You didn't use those wizard's beard diodes. Just plain old human made ones.

Agreed.... :(

For the laugh....:

Have you compared the sound versus being built on a wooden table?  ;D
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thomas_H

Really interesting layout. I like it.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

GrindCustoms

Quote from: marauder on March 29, 2014, 01:29:01 PM

My card table is like that where the drill bit has touched it.

We built a klone a while ago which the owner wanted more bottom, so did the C2 mod, but someone mentioned that reducing R14 to 1K5 from 15K added even more bottom.  Tried it and found it a little too mushy, so we changed it for a trimmer.

I  just chose the 4K7 as its around where the trimmer was set, sounds great.  Best bass OD I've heard through my non bass gear, a Crate Powerblock and a 1x12 with a 55hz celestion G12H.  Very Motorhead even without a Ric.

Nice!  8)

55hz... most human don't ear nothing from 50hz and below, your bass test rig qualifies! hehe

Quote from: jimilee on March 29, 2014, 01:30:14 PM
Quote from: sonarchotic on March 29, 2014, 07:12:20 AM
You didn't use those wizard's beard diodes. Just plain old human made ones.

Agreed.... :(

For the laugh....:

Have you compared the sound versus being built on a wooden table?  ;D

I think we have another «science» case right here.

Quote from: Thomas_H on March 29, 2014, 01:50:18 PM
Really interesting layout. I like it.

Thanks Thomas :)

I agree that most of my layouts don't have the «standard» component emplacement on them, truly made so you don't have to fight with nothing when populating. Everything is in dedicated component type section in rows.

From ground zero to completed built, that klone took me 1 hour to put together, so on a larger production scale.... where i built 20 to 30 at the same time, the average time per built once the whole task divided by units will be around 20minutes.

That's the time frame that i try to enter within all my production stuff, the Hydra on the other hand takes around 1.5hour when doing a single one, much more drilling and hardware allignement tho...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

ddog

Wow really digging the unicorn skull on the back of the PCB. What the difference between the Chimaera and this PCB?

Is one aimed for the DIY community and the other for your in-house production of pedals?

Jabulani Jonny

STOP THE PRESSES!!

Is this board coming with it's own DPDT breakout board for buffered bypass?!  If that's so, I know where I'll be ordering future klone boards.  Nice work!!  I have to say that I do love the way you lay things out by component type. 

Looks like I'll be building some more klones.  Doh.   ;D
Jonathan

jimilee

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on March 29, 2014, 08:09:01 PM
STOP THE PRESSES!!

Is this board coming with it's own DPDT breakout board for buffered bypass?!  If that's so, I know where I'll be ordering future klone boards.  Nice work!!  I have to say that I do love the way you lay things out by component type. 

This
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: ddog on March 29, 2014, 07:56:13 PM
Wow really digging the unicorn skull on the back of the PCB. What the difference between the Chimaera and this PCB?

Is one aimed for the DIY community and the other for your in-house production of pedals?

Both ChimaeraBFD and Tusk share the exact same schematic, just a layout difference.

But sadly yes, the Tusk layout (shown here) is for my production line only.

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on March 29, 2014, 08:09:01 PM
STOP THE PRESSES!!

I have some Chimaera Footswitch daughter boards coming in, they will come in packs of 2, featuring some usefull features! hahahahaha!

It's a small compensation, but it will still make the wiring far easier.

Aion's Refraktor does'nt fit in a 1590B? I was sure yes.

nzCdog

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 29, 2014, 08:45:16 PM
[Aion's Refraktor does'nt fit in a 1590B? I was sure yes.
It does, and it's a great layout with board mounted pots, but a layout that comes with a buffered daughter board would be nice.

So you won't be selling these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

juansolo

Looking good Rej. I remember when we first talked about these and I commented that there just wasn't an easy 1590B Klone build. Everything out there is geared to either bigger or smaller enclosures. Whereas I think the 1590B is THE enclosure to get effects into where possible (certainly to sell), as they take up little board real estate, yet are sensibly sized enough not to be a pain in the arse to build or use. Looks like you've nailed it mate!  8)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on March 30, 2014, 05:40:27 AM

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 29, 2014, 08:45:16 PM
[Aion's Refraktor does'nt fit in a 1590B? I was sure yes.
It does, and it's a great layout with board mounted pots, but a layout that comes with a buffered daughter board would be nice.

So you won't be selling these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, i won't be selling these for now, once i get through my actual stash of Chimaera's, i'll update to this layout.

GrindCustoms

I've just put some of these layouts in the BuySell section for those interested.