News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Madbean vs. Bluebeard Fuzz

Started by buckysde, March 30, 2011, 11:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Quote from: pandadandan on March 31, 2011, 08:29:48 PM
If you're looking for a great bass fuzz, the Foxx Tone Machine (wolfshirt) is indeed great, ESPECIALLY if you add in a clean blend circuit.  The problem with most fuzzes is that they filter at least some frequencies that basses need to have definition.  The clean blend eliminates the frequency loss.

Pharaoh works well with bass.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

juansolo

Quote from: thesameage on December 14, 2014, 03:36:57 PM
Quote from: pandadandan on March 31, 2011, 11:34:51 PM
Quote from: night-butterfly on March 31, 2011, 10:28:54 PM
I want to build a Mudbunny but I don't know wich one is for me.
Looks like you're the man I need : can you tell me a quick who's who on wich one has much gain, much fuzz, much clarity, much bass...
I mostly play 70's rock and 80's heavy metal.
Thanks

In a nutshell
Tri = articulate, clean, medium gain
Ram's = less clean, higher gain, more bass
Op-amp = super bassy, high gain
Russian = super bassy, low gain.

Triangle is the most desirable due to it's clarity.  However, the Bluebeard is extraordinarily clear, so YMMV.

Old thread, but nice breakdown! On this continuum, how would you describe the pharaoh and ultrastoner variants?

F**king heavy ;) They're on the very thick end of the Muff scale.

To be honest there's such variety even in different variations of the same models that generalising about them is quite hard. The ones in the spreadsheet are indeed generalised versions of the Violet/Rams/Triangle as there are so many different ones of them. In the second sheet I put all the of the ones that Kitrae have up on their site into it, it's daunting. But you have to build them to hear the differences. Some wild and wonderful stuff in there.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

thesameage

THanks!

Looking things over, it seems like I want to socket. Any opinions/suggestions for values are welcome:

R5, R11, and R16 (Emittor Resistors?): Green Russian is all 390R but Pharaoh and Bluebeard are 100K. I believe that this is the gain, higher value means lower gain.

R18 and R19 (Tone up/Tone down): Green Russian is 20/22K while Bluebeard is 39/39 but Hoof is 33/39

C10 and C11 (Tone up/Tone down): Green Russian and bluebeard are 10nf/3.9nf e while pharaoh is 22nf/10nf