News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Madbean vs. Bluebeard Fuzz

Started by buckysde, March 30, 2011, 11:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

night-B

I want to build a Mudbunny but I don't know wich one is for me.
Looks like you're the man I need : can you tell me a quick who's who on wich one has much gain, much fuzz, much clarity, much bass...
I mostly play 70's rock and 80's heavy metal.
Thanks

jkokura

I read a super article on DIYstompboxes about the Muff that really taught me about which parts matter in a Muff. The slight differences between various models don't matter much. I'll see if I can find it and link it...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pandadandan

Quote from: night-butterfly on March 31, 2011, 10:28:54 PM
Looks like you're the man I need : can you tell me a quick who's who on wich one has much gain, much fuzz, much clarity, much bass...
Thanks

In a nutshell
Tri = articulate, clean, medium gain
Ram's = less clean, higher gain, more bass
Op-amp = super bassy, high gain
Russian = super bassy, low gain.

Triangle is the most desirable due to it's clarity.  However, the Bluebeard is extraordinarily clear, so YMMV.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Also doesn't the triangle have more sustain and the rams head has a tight fuller bass response w/ slighty less sustain(still a lot!!)?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

night-B

Thanks! I'm thinking about building two now: the triangle and the opamp one.

buckysde

Quote from: pandadandan on March 31, 2011, 08:29:48 PM
If you're looking for a great bass fuzz, the Foxx Tone Machine (wolfshirt) is indeed great, ESPECIALLY if you add in a clean blend circuit.  The problem with most fuzzes is that they filter at least some frequencies that basses need to have definition.  The clean blend eliminates the frequency loss.

I have a Carl Martin Paraloop that I'm going to use as a fuzz loop.  That way I can mix in some clean as necessary.

buckysde

Score!  In a rare blip on the ebay radar, I have just won a Bluebeard Fuzz.  Also, I have just finished a Wolfshirt and it's initial impressions are tremendous!  Once I receive my BBF, I hope to post a side-by-side comparison.

Cheers!

thetrend77

pandadandan

Ohhhh here's a video from a couple of years ago.  Guitar > GGG Tuned Muff > 100w JCM800 (low input, but volume was on 10)

http://www.facebook.com/v/122024166639

thesameage

Quote from: pandadandan on March 31, 2011, 11:34:51 PM
Quote from: night-butterfly on March 31, 2011, 10:28:54 PM
Thanks

In a nutshell
Tri = articulate, clean, medium gain
Ram's = less clean, higher gain, more bass
Op-amp = super bassy, high gain
Russian = super bassy, low gain.

Triangle is the most desirable due to it's clarity.  However, the Bluebeard is extraordinarily clear, so YMMV.

Old thread, but nice breakdown! On this continuum, how would you describe the pharaoh and ultrastoner variants?

lars

You may want to wait for the "Pig Butt" project to come out, which is an op-amp version of the Big Muff. I don't ever hear of anyone using the op-amp Big Muff for bass, which seems odd, because it sounds better IMHO than any other Big Muff version I've tried on bass, including the famous russian muff, which to me sounds like somebody put a wet blanket over your amp. No clarity at all.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Shrtyska9

Rullywow has boards for the ic muff if you don't want to wait.

Richard

Richard

thesameage

You can get ic muffs a bunch of places.

I asked as I have a Bluebeard muff that someone made for me that I just don't like. It feels like the gain is too high and it's more fizzy than fuzzy and just really hard to get the right sound on bass or guitar. I love my pharoh clone and wonder if I should mod the Bluebeard that direction. Not sure.

thesameage

I guess  wondering what's the thickest fuzziest bass friendly muff that I can most easily mod my Bluebeard into... If that makes sense.

thesameage

I'm thinking of taking it to hoof territory.