News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Circuits in TV/movies (part nerdy/part comedy)

Started by Beedoola, March 30, 2014, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

I was watching X-Files yesterday and there was a part where Mulder is talking about being spied on - him and Scully are on a hot case! (when aren't they).

Anyways. Scully is writing with a pen and she pulls it apart to replace the cartridge when it runs out of ink and she finds this device (pictured below). Kind of funny given that SMT parts had been around for sometime, I imagine the government would be using that for spying. Maybe the through-hole stuff just looked for interesting/believable to the viewer?

Anything you can think of or show that is from TV or a movie where this kind of exaggerated technology is used?

Stomptown

Is there a shot of the other side of the pencil? Maybe we can trace it and release it as a diy project!  :P

Matt

Matt

Stomptown

I tried this and I can tell you it doesn't work!  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8dldLG_ZhI

lincolnic

I don't have much to add to this thread other than to say that I love the look of that kludge-y thing. Good job, government spies!

chromesphere

Amazing what you can do with a bunch of passives and a couple of diodes! 
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

slimtriggers

Flux Capacitor!

Beedoola

Quote from: Stomptown on March 30, 2014, 11:15:42 PM
Is there a shot of the other side of the pencil? Maybe we can trace it and release it as a diy project!  :P

I might have to submit a FOIA request to get the schematic declassified and made public.

Leevibe

I just love the way computers make all kinds of ridiculous chirpy computery sounds on all cop/forensic shows/movies. They still haven't figured out that we all are now using computers and know that they don't make neato sounds every time something loads on the screen.