News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kraken doesn't kwak - FIXXED

Started by fixxe, March 31, 2014, 07:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixxe

;D Haha, yes I reflowed them. C10 has signal, and I think the input of R9, as far as I remember. The other side of R9 gives me this ticking/crackling though.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: fixxe on April 16, 2014, 09:23:56 PM
;D Haha, yes I reflowed them. C10 has signal, and I think the input of R9, as far as I remember. The other side of R9 gives me this ticking/crackling though.

Try another resistor, that is the input to the «control» section of the envellope.

For the sake of science and B-Stock awareness, where do you source your resistors?
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

GrindCustoms

This makes sense to me, that this resistor is defective, you have signal going from the input of the pedal to the output..., the hi/lo switch network works, because it's not directly tied to the «control/filter» section.

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

fixxe

pulled R9 out, socketed it and put in a 10K since I dont have another 15K...no difference.
funny thing though, pulling out R9 makes no difference in the signal.
so I guess I do further probing then?

midwayfair

R9 is merely a limiting resistor to partially set the threshold of the envelope. The only way it's part of the problem is if it's not actually connected to the op amp. It could be a jumper.

You're going into an inverting op amp stage after that; I think you won't hear audio signal there (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that being a thing). You would hear something on pin 1 or on the range pot, though, I think; it should have crossover distortion (it's rectified).

Set your multimeter to 2v. Strum and measure at the attack pot 1. Do you see a voltage change? If not, you need to work backwards. Chances are your op amp is fine, because you have clean signal and half of the op amp is used for that. Check D1 and D2; they create the rectified signal. Make sure they're still working, not shorted, and not facing the wrong way. If you are getting a voltage at the attack pot, then your problem exists after it. Keep following the schematic.

GrindCustoms

Ah! Good to know about the envellope section, i knew that R9 was just a limiting resistor, but i did'nt knew if audio signal should be expected to be heard.

Like i've said earlier in this thread my knowledge of Filter and envellop followers is limited, simply an effect that i really dig and the Kraken is really a good one.

Thanks for chiming in Jon, i was out of ressources. ;)

fixxe

Thanks! I got my Multi on 20V and measured 4.8V and a 0.5V change when strumming. So the problem is after that? Where I marked it?

fixxe

So I got around to probe again. I wrote what I got in the picture. Now I don't know if my diode is gone, or if it's supposed to be this way.
Input appreciated  :)

fixxe

midwayfair

You're not going to hear anything on that side of R9. It's the inverting input of the op amp.

Have you gone through with your multimeter on continuity and checked all the connections? Have you measured components? I can't remember, have you changed the IC? Did you verify that your diodes aren't bad and that they're facing the right way?

fixxe

wtf? now I'm getting 12,9V at my 9V-connection. How can this be???
It's the same power supply and I checked with another one, too.

fixxe

Now it's even up to 14V. I marked the positions with higher voltage and zero voltage. The rest is around 7V.
Could anyone look this over and see if there's maybe voltage where none should be, or the other way around?

Edit: of course R3 and Out are 0v too

fixxe

I guess I'll try changing the diodes then

fixxe

Good news everyone! (insert Farnsworth)
I pulled the diodes -in a barbarian way, leaving a huge mess- put sockets there, put new ones in, and now it's working! Thanks everyone, your help is really appreciated!   :)

GrindCustoms

Awesome! It's a really nice envellope filter, glad that you can enjoy it now :)