News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I'm calling this tech help, You decide.

Started by ggarms, March 31, 2014, 01:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggarms

Hey guys, I've been getting pretty deep into building in the last year, and I find myself wanting to brush up on my technical knowledge. Sure I can etch build, and troubleshoot, but I'd come up with close to nothing if someone asked me to explain how a circuit like the stage fright works. Can any of you guys point me to any good resources you've found relating to audio electronic circuits/ application in pedals? THX.

GermanCdn

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

ggarms

midwayfair

Geofex.

The entire site. Not even joking. Almost everything you've ever wanted to know about effects is on there somewhere. If you don't understand something in one of the articles, look it up and read until you DO understand it. Then come back to the article. I still find things I forgot just in the Technology Of ... articles, not to mention all the other posts and the "hidden" pages that aren't linked on the front page. It's just shocking how expansive that site is.

AMZ's tech articles are good for the smaller parts of a circuit.

Runoff Groove for anything FET related.

Some other resources:
www.electrosmash.com
http://aquataur.hilpold.net/aquataur/

I probably have a dozen more bookmarked at home.

The other thing that worked for me early on is I'd read everything I could for a particular circuit I was building. There is a lot of great information in forum posts if you know what to look for.

Finally, learn to recognize patterns. You'll be able to break a circuit down a lot more quickly when you start thinking in "blocks" rather than individual parts.

Also, there's a thread here called the Nerd's Corner or something like that with lots of links.

GermanCdn

Yeah, the breaking down things into blocks is key (whether it be buffers, drive sections, eq, whatever), because once you can identify like blocks, you can Frankenstein up some fun.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

flanagan0718

Quote from: midwayfair on March 31, 2014, 01:15:23 PM
Geofex.

The entire site. Not even joking. Almost everything you've ever wanted to know about effects is on there somewhere. If you don't understand something in one of the articles, look it up and read until you DO understand it. Then come back to the article. I still find things I forgot just in the Technology Of ... articles, not to mention all the other posts and the "hidden" pages that aren't linked on the front page. It's just shocking how expansive that site is.

AMZ's tech articles are good for the smaller parts of a circuit.

Runoff Groove for anything FET related.

Some other resources:
www.electrosmash.com
http://aquataur.hilpold.net/aquataur/

I probably have a dozen more bookmarked at home.

The other thing that worked for me early on is I'd read everything I could for a particular circuit I was building. There is a lot of great information in forum posts if you know what to look for.

Finally, learn to recognize patterns. You'll be able to break a circuit down a lot more quickly when you start thinking in "blocks" rather than individual parts.

Also, there's a thread here called the Nerd's Corner or something like that with lots of links.

+1 on this! Also:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/

These are great sites if you check out the "Tech Info" tabs.

ggarms

Thanks guys. I digested pretty much all I could on beavis, so the post was pretty much looking for what Jon and others  linked to to continue diving deeper. Thanks again!

twin1965

Read through these. Plenty of information and circuit examples.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

twin1965

culturejam

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 31, 2014, 01:18:51 PM
because once you can identify like blocks, you can Frankenstein up some fun. start a boutique pedal empire.

Fixed.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

GermanCdn

Quote from: culturejam on March 31, 2014, 02:44:14 PM
Quote from: GermanCdn on March 31, 2014, 01:18:51 PM
because once you can identify like blocks, you can Frankenstein up some fun. start a boutique pedal empire.

Fixed.  ;D

I thought I was keeping my plans for pedal world domination on the down low..... 8)

Blues Healer

"music heals"