News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Seriously - what can I build with these?

Started by Clayford, April 01, 2014, 01:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clayford

One of my students was taking EE at ITT until they were talking to a UK recruiter and learned that the ITT EE degree was worth only the paper it would be written on. I was gifted her ITT tool kit and I appreciate it. 1/2w 5% resistors, the wife claimed for jewelry and crafty stuff. The breadboard was large enough to have 4 power connections on it and will be quite useful. I have some more greenie meanies now....  The unopened Weller pencil iron, will be handy to have around. Caps, leds, small momentary switches suitable for the BB, and other useful things have been sorted into my parts drawers.

The chips are somewhat of a mystery.Ok so first off, it's a LARGE pic if you click to open it up. Chips are small and identifying them is easier if you have a large pic. I know the 555's are useful and the CA3080 is also *Very* useful. Already picked half a doz each of some LM741's and LM386's off there. Found also one 4558.  What else is useful?
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

culturejam

I see a couple things of immediate usefulness:

LM567CN - Tone decoder. You can make a cheapie ring mod
CA3086 - NPN transistor array. Same kind of thing used in the Way Huge Swollen Pickle
LM324 - Quad op amp. Nuff said

There are a shitload of logic chips, like decade counters and NAND gates and whatnot. A lot of those are going to be hard to use for effects, but it's been done in the past.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alanp

The CA3086 are also OTA (in the CA3080 family, don't recall the relationship)

LM3900 is a quad Norton amplifier chip (don't recall anything else)

MC1496 is used in solid state ring modulators

The 74 series chips are 5 volt logic IC's, from memory
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

derevaun

Futurlec has pretty good datasheet coverage for chips, especially the 74 series: http://www.futurlec.com/IC74LS00Series.shtml

Some of them could be used for noise/drone synths. Beavis has a good intro to that scene: http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/CMOS_Synthesizers/

The 40xx chips are especially easy & fun to set up as crude oscillators, even step sequencers.

LM565 is a phase locked loop--seems like I've seen it in audio service before, dunno.

Clayford

CJ  I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel - pull what's useful off and offer the rest to someone that can use them too.

Quote from: culturejam on April 01, 2014, 02:21:27 AM

LM567CN - Tone decoder. You can make a cheapie ring mod
Ok the Ring Thing, and I should ask myself more often, What would Dano build???
Quote from: culturejam on April 01, 2014, 02:21:27 AMCA3086 - NPN transistor array. Same kind of thing used in the Way Huge Swollen Pickle
I thought the pickle was a another modified BMP? but I can see how the single chip might simplify or complicate things. especially the pair that are tied at the emitter. Anything you know of ready to build or at least a vero? (I looked)
LM324 - Quad op amp. Nuff said
Er perhaps not?
There are a shitload of logic chips, like decade counters and NAND gates and whatnot. A lot of those are going to be hard to use for effects, but it's been done in the past.
Not looking to rebuild the wheel, just see what's easy and fun.

Clayford

Quote from: derevaun on April 01, 2014, 04:20:17 AM
Some of them could be used for noise/drone synths. Beavis has a good intro to that scene: http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/CMOS_Synthesizers/

I reiterate... I should ask myself, what would beavis do.

Still open to other ideas that don't involve me taking an EE course. Points to projects with a said chip would be much loved.

midwayfair

Quote from: Clayford on April 01, 2014, 04:39:03 AM
I thought the pickle was a another modified BMP? but I can see how the single chip might simplify or complicate things. especially the pair that are tied at the emitter. Anything you know of ready to build or at least a vero? (I looked)

Here's a big muff array ...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=106531.0

Compare the datasheets, obviously.

Scruffie

The 311 & 339 are both useful, both comparators.

You can use the 311 in the bean current lover.
Works at Lectric-FX

GermanCdn

I *think* Justin's (electricsb) RC Fuzz uses the CA3086 (it's a CA series NPN array, that much I remember).

The LM324 can be used in most circuits that call for TL074, better in some circuits than others.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Scruffie

I wouldn't wanna use the 324 in the audio path of anything with any real gain, or even without, quite the noisy chip.

Fantastic however for LFO and other non audio purposes, as with the 311, you could use one in the current lover ;)
Works at Lectric-FX

RobA

The DAC0808 is an 8 bit parallel DAC. It could be useful for doing MIDI-to-CV when combined with a little MCU or Arduino.

The LM3900 is a quad Norton op-amp. I did some playing with these a bit ago and they have some interesting possibilities in switching circuits. I've seen them used in synth circuits too.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Clayford

Quote from: midwayfair on April 01, 2014, 01:36:58 PM
Quote from: Clayford on April 01, 2014, 04:39:03 AM

Here's a big muff array ...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=106531.0

Compare the datasheets, obviously.

that looks interesting. A daughter board to repin the chip would bee needed, but I'm not sure how well the tied together pair would work in the circuit. Hmm. Thanks Jon. Food for thought.

I'm not quite sure, but it looks like after some reading I might be able to use the LM324 and the LM311 to make an Current Lover.   ;D

I think I even started some basic artwork for that thing... now where did I put that?