News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wireless In-Ear Systems

Started by gtr2, April 02, 2014, 12:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

I've debated about this for a while, mainly because of the cost.  I've been using a nice set of Ultimate In-Ears but I've been wired up to an Aviom system at church.  I'm pretty tired of being tied to the Aviom and have been looking off and on for a wireless system.  It just seems that there is not really any cheaper systems besides the Galaxy AS-900 which is a fixed frequency which isn't a problem since I'm always playing at the same location but I have never heard much on any of the Galaxy products.  I really don't want to spend upwards of $500 for something. Opinions?

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

rullywowr

Unfortunately, you get what you pay for with wireless IEMs. Seeing as the FCC is going to take away the 600MHz range in two years you should get a wireless which is frequency agile. Also, since you have a nice set if ears it makes little sense to buy a cheap IEM set. Kind of like putting race tires on a Toyota Yaris.  The market leaders are Sennheiser EW300IEMG3 and Shure PSM1000. Perhaps you can find a gently used pair for reduced cost. I would go no lower than those systems.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

gtr2

lol, well the psm1000 is only about $4,500 out of my price range  ;)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

rullywowr

Lol just a little bit $$$. Even a Sennheiser G2 set will work very nice. I may have a gently used one id have to look. Lots of churches are using G2 and G3 ears.

Leevibe

We use Avioms too, which I still love. One of our aviom units can work with wireless. My problem with it was that it only seemed to work in mono. I don't know if that is the aviom or the sennheiser belt pack but it's tough to run mono with both ears in. I would love a wireless stereo setup.

rullywowr

Quote from: Leevibe on April 02, 2014, 04:41:25 PM
We use Avioms too, which I still love. One of our aviom units can work with wireless. My problem with it was that it only seemed to work in mono. I don't know if that is the aviom or the sennheiser belt pack but it's tough to run mono with both ears in. I would love a wireless stereo setup.
Avioms are really great, and even better with wireless. The Sennheiser is capable of Stereo/Mono/Focus modes. As long as the base transmitter is connected to the Aviom's stereo outputs you should be able to get stereo. Ensure the base and pack is set to stereo and also check the "Pilot Tone" is engaged on both Sennheiser devices.  Lastly, ensure the balance control on the pack is centered.

Leevibe

Quote from: rullywowr on April 02, 2014, 04:58:49 PM

Avioms are really great, and even better with wireless. The Sennheiser is capable of Stereo/Mono/Focus modes. As long as the base transmitter is connected to the Aviom's stereo outputs you should be able to get stereo. Ensure the base and pack is set to stereo and also check the "Pilot Tone" is engaged on both Sennheiser devices.  Lastly, ensure the balance control on the pack is centered.

Thanks Ben. I'm usually drumming so the wireless is irrelevant but I lead sometimes and I can't get weaned off the wedge monitor. I think stereo wireless would get me there!

rullywowr

Quote from: Leevibe on April 02, 2014, 05:21:40 PM
Quote from: rullywowr on April 02, 2014, 04:58:49 PM

Thanks Ben. I'm usually drumming so the wireless is irrelevant but I lead sometimes and I can't get weaned off the wedge monitor. I think stereo wireless would get me there!

Glad to help!  Think of how cool the drum intro to "In the air tonight" by Phil Collins would sound in stereo :)