Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Partscaster advice

Started by Leevibe, April 03, 2014, 02:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

Quote from: aion on April 04, 2014, 12:03:57 PM
Watch for one of these guys on eBay:
http://www.fender.com/squier/series/classic-vibe/classic-vibe-stratocaster-50s-maple-fingerboard-lake-placid-blue/

There's your neck and body in the colors you want. The CV series is amazing and you can usually get them used for really good prices. (The blue ones don't come up very often, but one sold a couple weeks ago for $250.) Don't let the Squier name throw you off - the neck is going to be top notch. You won't get the Fender logo, but it's close. (I don't know if that neck is finished or not on that model, so you may even be able to peel off the Squier sticker.)

The hardware on the CV series leaves something to be desired, so I'd order an aftermarket switch, pots, knobs, etc. and just rewire all the electronics from scratch. Maybe a new bridge too. Most people say the tuners are great, but my CV Telecaster's tuners were garbage so you may want to replace them.

That leaves a cool couple hundred bucks to spend on pickups or something.

Another option, if the Squier logo bothers you, is to buy the whole CV guitar and then sell the neck. As STRATosphere knows well, a guitar is worth a whole lot more in pieces, so if you sell the neck you'll end up with a body for very cheap and have a little more to spend on a Warmoth or genuine Fender neck.

You might be on to something there. I have a friend who plays a burst CV and it's an impressive looking guitar. I like the idea of selling the neck and putting on what I want then changing out all the electronics, not necessarily in that order.

My tele is a squier that was given to me. I put '52 reissues in it that I traded a pedal build for and did vintage fender switch and cts pots. It's a great playing/sounding guitar and I have almost no money in it.

aion

It's funny how well the parting-out tactic works! I really wanted a CV Custom 60's Telecaster (double-bound sunburst body), but I wanted it with a tinted maple neck instead of the rosewood that it comes with. So I found a CV 50's on Craigslist for $200, pulled off the tinted maple neck, and then sold the loaded body for $225. Then I found a CV Classic body for about $250 and loaded it with aftermarket hardware and pickups. All told, I think I have maybe $400 into the guitar and it's fantastic.

I could have probably come out even farther ahead if I got a complete CV Custom and sold the neck instead of buying just the body - but there wasn't one on eBay at the time and I got impatient :)

GermanCdn

The CVs are actually probably the best mod platform out there today (they're not as good as the Pro Tones, but since Fender discontinued those because they were eating up a lot of main brand market share, that says a lot).  I currently have three CV teles, and they play really well.  Yes, replace the electronics.  Tuners - not terrible, but the old six on a side Kluson style is not my favourite, but they are "era" correct.  Bridges are on par with the MIM for the strats, actually better on the Teles (I prefer the old school barrel and brass bridges to the crappy cast pot crap they use on MIM Teles, even if you have to put compensated saddles on later).  Pickups are surprisingly good, and the colours are usually pretty close to era correct as well.  I'd personally give the neck a chance as well before you sell it - you might find you like it.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

gordo

If you want to go the cheap route here's a good one:
http://www.gordomusic.com/cheapo.html
It's the GFS kit.  The weird part is, its a great guitar but all the hardware is pretty crappy.  Most of the upgrades have ruined the sound so I keep switching back to stock.  Classic case of "sum of the parts..."  For the money it's a nice way to figure out if you like building Frankensteins.  What started off as a work bench tester guitar now gets regular stage time...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Leevibe

Quote from: gordo on April 04, 2014, 05:34:13 PM
If you want to go the cheap route here's a good one:
http://www.gordomusic.com/cheapo.html
It's the GFS kit.  The weird part is, its a great guitar but all the hardware is pretty crappy.  Most of the upgrades have ruined the sound so I keep switching back to stock.  Classic case of "sum of the parts..."  For the money it's a nice way to figure out if you like building Frankensteins.  What started off as a work bench tester guitar now gets regular stage time...

Yeah, I like GFS so far. He goes a little over the top with "my stuff is the best in the world" but it's hard to beat the bang for the buck. I have GFS alnico p90s in my Agile AD2300 and they sound great. Much better than the stock ceramics. I may eventually buy the wilkinson roller bridge for that guitar because I put a bigsby on it.

OK, now about your strat. THAT'S COOL! Nice job all the way around. What a great way for a guy to get his feet wet with guitar building. But I have to say, the "Mousecaster" is rad!! I love the '52 look but what you did is such subtle but cool twist. Modestly figured top with the black pick guard. Now there's something for me to drop those '52 RI pickups into! There could be a similar guitar in my future!

I like your amp builds too. Nice work! Did you ever build the tweed deluxe? I did a scratch build of one and I love it. I would love to see yours.