News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Doctor Strange

Started by timbo_93631, April 03, 2014, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo_93631

Doctor Strange

Fabien, 2flAZ on OSG, has done a bunch of graphics for me over the past year or so to make my etched enclosures from and in thanks I wanted to build him something special, and also square up in terms of a labor for labor type of trade.  He came up with the idea for the pedal, basically wanting a fixed wah and an octave up pedal, and the graphic and enclosure choice etc.  A total departure from my other stuff, this is a Sunshine Sparkle powder coat enclosure from Pedal Parts Plus, and a full face waterslide decal.  The circuits are both madbean projects, one side of the PCB is a Weener Wah II with a Whipple Halo inductor and some mojo 2n2925 transistors, the octave up side is a Sqweeker which has been placed in one of Rockhorst's blend loops so it can be mixed 100% wet or dry.  Special thanks to Cody, selfdestroyer, for the etched Weener Sqweeker PCB.  The big knob on the wah side controls the fixed position of the sweep, and the 3-way toggle adjusts the center frequency of the sweep.  The yellow knob adjusts the volume of the wah.  On the octave side the 3-way toggle is wired for the GGG null mod function that selectively limits the fundamental guitar notes and emphasize the octave up note, and the big knob is for the wet/dry/blend.  Outer stomps are bypasses, the center swaps the effect order and the LED's illuminate on whichever side is first in the signal chain.  It is one of the nuttiest pedals I have built, but really neat and in a live situation it will be a murky mix machete.  Sounds like:
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

micromegas

strange indeed, but awesome too. I really dig the contrast with knobs and the painting
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

peAk

Everything about this pedal is awesome.

midwayfair

Great work, cool idea from your friend, too. I actually think it'll sound awesome for leads in a band setting.

selfdestroyer

Tim, I thought we agreed it would be called Squeaky Wiener lol I kid, I kid.

I know this is far from your usual designing but I must say this looks awesome. I love the aesthetics of this pedal and you executed it perfectly. Please tell me that the middle foot switch turns on the wiener.. the switch placement with the LED bezels make me laugh. haha I got a mind of a 12 year old today.

Cody

bcalla

Beautiful in every respect.  Looks great, sounds great...  I like how tight you tuck the stomp switches against the edge.

sonarchotic

Great sounding circuit combo!

Leevibe

lincolnic

Quote from: peAk on April 03, 2014, 09:36:15 PM
Everything about this pedal is awesome.

I was going to say exactly this, but he beat me to it.

timbo_93631

Thanks for the nice words guys!  Unless I cobble together something better this might be my spring contest entry.  So happy the contest has returned, I love seeing all the "extra mile" kinda builds that come up there. 

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 03, 2014, 10:35:56 PM
Tim, I thought we agreed it would be called Squeaky Wiener lol I kid, I kid.

I know this is far from your usual designing but I must say this looks awesome. I love the aesthetics of this pedal and you executed it perfectly. Please tell me that the middle foot switch turns on the wiener.. the switch placement with the LED bezels make me laugh. haha I got a mind of a 12 year old today.

Cody

The graphic is from Fabien, but yeah the middle switch, the LED's not exactly visual innuendo.  The center stomp affects who is the giver and who is the taker in the relationship if you want to think about it in 12 year old terms.  Sqweekey WeeiniE ToNz!

Quote from: bcalla on April 03, 2014, 10:52:28 PM
Beautiful in every respect.  Looks great, sounds great...  I like how tight you tuck the stomp switches against the edge.

Had to use a ball mill in the drill press to hog out the corner bosses to tuck the switches in like that, you can see it in the gutshot in the leftmost corner.

Quote from: midwayfair on April 03, 2014, 10:21:38 PM
Great work, cool idea from your friend, too. I actually think it'll sound awesome for leads in a band setting.

Yeah, looking forward to his feedback about that when he gets it.

Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

ch1naski

one louder.

wgc

Wow this is crazy good!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

hoodoo

Big props for getting that to look so neat on the inside mate, lot's of offboard wiring and it looks spot on, great build all round  :)

pickdropper

Dude, that is AWESOME.  The graphic is great.  Nice clean guts, too.  All in all a clever build.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

nzCdog

Hey hey Timbo! 8)
What a cool build in and out!  I love that sound too, so much attitude  ;D