News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mounting PCB to the Enclosure?

Started by tenwatt, April 01, 2011, 11:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenwatt

What do you guys do to mount the PCB to the enclosure?  Does the PCB need to have insullation between itself and the enclosure?
Not too bright....

cjkbug

a lot of times I'll stick some 1/4" thick adhesive backed foam either to the floor of the enclosure if it's a big one, or the backs of the pots. place the pcb on the foam. them I stick some of the same foam to the sides of the enclosure so it. overhangs the edge of the pcb on each side. if the pcb is narrow I'll double up on one or both sides. it not only holds the pcb in place, it also cushions it against impact. the foam is soft and flexible enough that the board can easily be removed and replaced if you need to. the foam comes in several colors and is really cheap at the craft store. it's great for all kinds of insulation. a piece on the side of the switch and bottom wall of the enclosure makes a great batterry holder as well so the 9 volt isn't rattling around inside the pedal
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

Liam

I just don't, I leave the PCB floating on the leads, components towards the knob mounting face.  Then I use a couple of pieces of 1/4" foam on the back plate to stop the PCB shorting out and to secure the battery in place.  Not the perfect solution, but has worked great for the first 6 builds.

Liam

bigmufffuzzwizz

I've done the floating method w/ a lot of wiring to secure it in place. Recently I found some double sided sticky foam tape at my local 99 cents store. Got a bunch of it cause it's really perfect for this especially the mini vero boards.  ;D
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

small fish

Hi,
I normally use self adhesive velcro, made by tesa.
Stick it to the inside (knob side - where the pots are mounted) of the enclosure and the other part on the solder side of the pcb itself. Aditionally I will add some foam on the bottom plate of the box. If the pcb fall off, theres no problem with the parts / the pure metal of the box.

With small boxes I´ll often cut out some thin foam a little bit  bigger, than the box is wide, so the pcb will be held by the foam on both sides of the pcb.

regards
Guitars are made of trees! Paper is made of trees!
Recycle your paper, so there are more trees left - to make guitars!

lwatford

I've got a bunch of foam that I use, but I've started using the double-sided foam tape. Works great for putting smaller boards on the sides of enclosures or backs of pots.