News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

MXR Distortion II

Started by BuGG, April 09, 2014, 09:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuGG

Finally got around to building my MXR Distortion II clone...   I know, I know, I shouldn't have used the MXR name but I wanted "authentic" cosmetics.    ::)

This one is true bypass, runs on 9-18VDC, and has In/Out jacks on opposite sides (vs same side like original)

Ideally I'd like to work up an etchable layout for this one, it's currently built on stripboard and I'm not extremely enthused about that.

jvg13

Looks great.  I really like the graphic art design that went into the Keith Barr & Terry Sherwood era of MXR.

Just if you get banging on the door it'll be Jim Dunlop & his heavies paying you a visit  :)

televisiondown

This is very exciting! This pedal is how I got into building pedals. I've been intimidated by the stripboard layouts. What layout did you use? I'm guessing it's a 1590BB...where's it from and which color? Gut shot? Sorry for all the questions. Looking at what you did is impressive.
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

BuGG

This was my first stripboard project.   I've always etched PCBs but since an existing layout wasn't available I decided to use stripboard this time around.    It was easier than etching/drilling a board, but it doesn't feel quite as "elegant" to me.

I used the layout created by Mike Livesley, but swapped most of the components back to stock values.    My understanding is that he modified the circuit to tame the low end, but to my ears this made the Resonance control unresponsive.    There is a lot of low end with the stock values, so tweaking C9 & C10 (per the layout below) might be necessary.

The enclosure I used is a powdercoated 1590BB from Mammoth, the color is Honey Wheat Yellow.  The graphics are a waterslide decal with Krylon clearcoat applied.   If you're interested I can send you the Photoshop PSD file.

Here is a revised version of the stripboard layout with stock values and proper Filter pot wiring.

rullywowr

I like the look a lot.  At first glance it looks legit MXR!  This seems like it fit right in with your personal pedal stash.  Great job!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

micromegas

Cool one. Some abuse and you could claim it is an original one.... I like the aesthetics too.

How do you like the sound of it by the way? can't find any reliable demo on youtube.

(One quick thought: could the new Caroline Haymaker be based on this? it is a TL074 based od too.)

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

BuGG

Thanks for the kind words!   I was attempting to keep the appearance as close to the original as possible but with no intentions of passing it off as the real thing...  I figure anyone interested in buying an original would easily spot the difference.    Consider it my "unlicensed reissue".   ;D

As for how I like it, I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet... I went into the build somewhat blindly (as micromegas said, there aren't a lot of demos available) and it's not exactly what I expected, but so far I like it.     I haven't had a chance to run it above 9VDC yet, I originally planned to build in a charge pump and 15VDC regulator but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I was somewhat hesitant to post gut shots because the internals aren't quite as clean and pretty as I would like, but what the heck, you asked, you got it.    ;)

I'll do a little more "lead dress" once I'm finished tweaking component values for the Resonance control.

jubal81

Love this build. It's just so sharp.

I've built a lot of circuits on vero and I'm the same way about it. If it's a circuit I really want to keep I end up doing a layout for it.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

nzCdog

Dud that looks great!   :D
Vero keeps winning me back.  So much faster than etching something

BuGG

Quote from: nzCdog on April 10, 2014, 01:07:39 PM
Dud that looks great!   :D
Vero keeps winning me back.  So much faster than etching something

I'm horrible at designing PCB layouts...   I've been practicing and arguably getting better at it, but I just can't seem to get an acceptable layout drawn up for the Distortion II...

Since this was going to be a one-off I figured I would just cut to the chase and use the resources already available.   Now..... if someone was to design a layout that I could etch or have fabbed, I would be eternally grateful.    ;D

twin1965

I'm sort of developing an addiction to Eagle Cad. Been doing quite a few pcb designs. What schematic did you use? If you give me a link I'll give it a bash :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

peAk

televisiondown

That's really clean for vero. My vero pedals look like I forgot what I was doing halfway through. They work, but they're controlled chaos. Yours looks really good. I was going to buy the BYOC El Segundo Distorto, but it's meant for a 125B. Maybe I'll take a stab at this layout.

If anybody does an eagle/oshpark PCB run...I'm in!
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

BuGG

I considered the El Distorto Segundo PCB as well but decided against it because of the circuit modifications and board dimensions.

I'm working up an Eagle schematic now so whoever is interested can take a crack at it.   If we can get a decent layout I'll gladly have a batch fabricated and split it with the designer.   

Leevibe

Nothing wrong with those guts BuGG!