News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sparkplug!

Started by jkokura, April 10, 2014, 12:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

It feels like it's been FOREVER since I posted anything. That's what happens when you build the same stuff over and over - the cool stuff you get to build for fun takes a backseat sometimes. Anyway, I've had a lull in things, so I've got an awesome Madbean pedal done recently!

The Sparkplug is a great design that combines some of the features from a few different Dave Barber effects into one clever design. This PCB is the first version, which has external controls for Bass and Cut, which I really like personally. You can get really mid scooped, or really bassy, or really tame, or really tubescreamerish sounds, all by just tweaking the knobs.

One thing I really like about this pedal is how harmonically pleasant it is. There's quite a bit of harmonic content on the distorted signal, but it's not harsh at all, nor is it fizzy or gated or artificial sounding. Part of that might simply be the design, but I think it helps that I used a TLC2272 op amp, as I think it's a little better than the 072 type.

I drilled for top mounted jacks, so I couldn't board mount the pots, but I think it turned out all right. The PCB is actually floating in there, held in place by the tension of the wires to which everything is connected. Guts aren't as clean as I usually like, but it's good enough for a personal pedal for me I think. I probably won't sell this unless something much better comes along.

Anyway, here are some glamorous pics:

And the Guts.

Hope you've enjoyed!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

micromegas

I can't see the pictures... :(
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

jkokura

Quote from: micromegas on April 10, 2014, 12:16:56 PM

They show up for me... I used photo bucket, and they're imbedded, so they should work for most people. I should note I'm using Safari, and I'm in Canada and no sites bet blocked by the internet at my work.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

micromegas

Quote from: jkokura on April 10, 2014, 12:25:48 PM
Quote from: micromegas on April 10, 2014, 12:16:56 PM

They show up for me... I used photo bucket, and they're imbedded, so they should work for most people. I should note I'm using Safari, and I'm in Canada and no sites bet blocked by the internet at my work.

Jacob

The thing is that, if I enter in your photo bucket's album I can see the photos, but here in the forum they appear with this message: "Sorry. This person moved or deleted the image"

EDIT: fixed, now I can see it, and is gorgeous
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

nzCdog

Love the colour and knob layout... really nice 8)

bcalla

Nice graphics!  I like the mount you use for the battery wires.  Where do you get them?

jkokura

It's a 1/2" zip tie mount. I got about 200 of them on eBay a long while back. I think I prefer the 3/4" ones, but the 1/2" type are easier to squeeze into small places.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Leevibe

Great job. I love the tone knobs. They look synth-y. Where do you get those?

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Stomptown

Beautiful Jacob! I'd love to hear this one!

jkokura

Quote from: Leevibe on April 10, 2014, 06:31:38 PM

I don't recall. They were one of Smallbear, Mammoth, Tayda, or BLMS. I have gotten knobs from all those places.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

jimilee

Quote from: Leevibe on April 10, 2014, 06:31:38 PM
Tayda has some and blms as week as small bear. Boss style knobs.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bret608

Those are synth pointer #2 from Small Bear. I love this series. I used the #3s on my Standard Fuzz and the look great.

I always love your little rectangular clipping LEDs! I have those on my Egodriver, since I got the parts from you in our Pork Loin trade a while back. What can I say, they sound really good.  :)