News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

home recording advice. monitors

Started by jimijam, April 10, 2014, 01:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimijam

I finally got a midi interface (m-audio mobile pre) so now  can start recording. I'll be using amplitube, gtr3, guitar rg, and an axe-fx for my guitar and bas tones. superior drummer for drum tracks. I have pro tools set up at the moment although I think I will change to something else. many recomendations for ableton live. but what I want to know is what would be a good monitor for playback. I am totally ignorant of what I need to look for. any help would be appreciated
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

midwayfair

Unless you're going to splurge on a really great set of monitors with the DAW to back it up, use your computer speakers. Many good engineers use cheap computer speakers in part of the mixing process. I can also tell you that you should get it to sound good on the thing 90% of people are going to hear it on.

Headphones are bad because they'll give you too much bass (pressed against your skull).

junkemail86

I love my KRK's.  I think I have the older version of the RP5's.  They sound great, and have lasted for years.  Can't really say much about other brands though.

juansolo

I don't actually do any recording, but I have a nice set of tiny wee Focal CMS-40 monitors on my Mac for listening to music. Mainly because they were very wee and sound great. I've got some Dynaudio BM5As on the front channels of my home cinema system too (some very ickle Dynaudio passives on the rear). The BM5As are spectacular, but massive and probably unsuitable for a desktop (unless it's equally huge).

The Dynaudios I snagged cheap when they were doing a run out of them (I think they were £250 each as opposed to £500). I've got a feeling the Focals were around £200 each, but there was no offer on those.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

peAk

While I agree with Jon, decent monitors aren't that expensive and you should definitely get a pair. All that work goes into recording, mixing, ect. and there is no reason to not enjoy it to its fullest. That being said, Jon's right that it will mostly be listened to on cheap ass speakers. You could take that a step further and say might as well listen to it and mix it in mono.

jkokura

I use a pair of Event TR6's, which are bi-amped, powered, reference monitors. I highly like the Event speakers, but I've had them for almost a decade at this point, so I'm not sure how current these would be in terms of what's available.

I've heard nothing but good things about the offerings from KRK. I have no idea what I'd be buying if I had to buy a set right now, but I wouldn't spend less than $300 on monitors if I were going to be mixing anything for others to listen to. I would spend no more than $150 if I were mixing things just for demos or for fun.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Vallhagen

Quote from: midwayfair on April 10, 2014, 01:31:42 PM
Unless you're going to splurge on a really great set of monitors with the DAW to back it up, use your computer speakers. Many good engineers use cheap computer speakers in part of the mixing process. I can also tell you that you should get it to sound good on the thing 90% of people are going to hear it on.

Headphones are bad because they'll give you too much bass (pressed against your skull).

Once in a while i have to disagree... It depends on ambition level of course, but if you want to reach decent-to-pro mix result, a pair of good (or "halfgood") monitors is The one most important part of your studio. I myself have a pair of alesis mkII, good enuff for My needs.

Good studio headphones is great too, and may save some annoyed comments from your neighbours. Ive heard great mixes done just in headphones.

The key is flat freq response.

On The other hand, if you just want to play around and learn your software, get some cheap (2nd hand?) hifi speakers and amp, they Will get you going:).

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

midwayfair

Quote from: Vallhagen on April 10, 2014, 02:42:22 PM
Once in a while i have to disagree... It depends on ambition level of course, but if you want to reach decent-to-pro mix result, a pair of good (or "halfgood") monitors is The one most important part of your studio.

This isn't necessarily true for people who are inexperienced mixers. But you're right that it depends on the level of ambition. In reality you have to do both, but if you have to pick only one, you should mix on something that won't just make everything sound good. Listening back at low volume is also a big thing (it's amazing how easily you can hear that things are out of tune when the music's not compressed through volume).

Also, while I don't necessarily advocate mixing to mono, you have to make sure it sounds good in mono, because that's how it's going to be heard.

lincolnic

I use a pair of Equator Audio D5s at home, and I strongly recommend them. I think a pair is $350 now - look up some reviews. You'll probably be glad you did.

Vallhagen

Quote from: midwayfair on April 10, 2014, 03:06:38 PM
... but if you have to pick only one, you should mix on something that won't just make everything sound good.

Thats actually part of my point. A good linear monitor doesn't give any false impression of good sound in a bad mix.

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

ic

I went down this road a few years ago, and my opinion is to buy a set of near field monitors, and spend whatever you think is reasonable for your purposes.

In my case, it was a friend and myself mixing some multitracked digital recordings for our own amusement, and I found a cheap pair of powered 5" monitors (Behringer as it turns out) more than adequate for what we wanted. I now use them as my computer speakers full time. Its amazing what you can hear, and how different things can sound through headphones, home stereo, car stereo etc.

I learnt a huge amount about music and sound by going through the mixing process, and had a lot of fun as well.

raulduke

I have to semi-disagree with Jon for once  ;)

Use a crap pair of computer speakers as your 'crappy' reference, but also get a nice set of studio monitors for proper reference.

Get a good set of headphones too (you'll need them for recording with mic's, and your wife will thank you).

Genelec and Adam are really nice manufacturers.

Also, make sure the speakers are active (amps built in) not passive, or you'll have to fork out for a power amp.

kothoma

I have some rather cheap ESI nEar 05 Classic.

I use both inputs (one for onboard sound and the other for usb audio).

They sound good enough for me (being non-pro). Sometimes I wish they had a little more bottom though. Maybe sometime I get 8" monitors?

I especially like their funiture look in contrast to all these pieces of plastic around.