News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ZOMG NPMD!!! Redux is in! NPD too!

Started by Clayford, April 10, 2014, 08:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clayford

Its a great day today.
Came home and saw that wondrous purple mailer on the table today. We all know what that means!!!
New Purple Mailer Day!

My first completely designed by me board. It would be the worlds fastest verification, but I'm missing pots. I really need to make that smallbear order,like yesterday. Sad part is... even my wife knows what the purple mailer means...
I played around and got the name of the board, and our Logo in exposed copper.

Also came in today, left by the mail-person on my front porch :

Stomptown Harmonic Fuzz. Very awesome. A little quirky, but very rude. Played up some STANK on that thing. I was able to dial in a very nice Jimi too. Highly recommend dealing with him if you have the need.

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

selfdestroyer

Congratulations. The layout looks cool. One day I will wrap my head around laying out a PCB.. been such a trial and mainly error for me. Great job.

Cody

rullywowr

Congrats on your first board!  It's a great feeling. Exciting getting the package and also verifying it. It's still like Christmas for me whenever a shipment of PCBs arrives.  Layout looks good man.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

wgc

Super exciting to get those purple mailers!

Looks cool, hope it fires right up! 

The fuzz looks great too
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Clayford

Well the pots to build it should be in the mail. Just waiting on the order from Steve

Leevibe

flanagan0718

Sharp looking board Clay! Can't wait to hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

culturejam

Look great, man!

So how did you specify the text in the upper left corner not to be covered with solder mask? When I do copper text, it's always covered by the mask.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jkokura

I think the key is to have it on the layer with the pads...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Clayford

Quote from: culturejam on April 11, 2014, 07:46:18 PM
Look great, man!

So how did you specify the text in the upper left corner not to be covered with solder mask? When I do copper text, it's always covered by the mask.
Ancient creole secret! 8)

It's a simple process actually. Make the tStop layer(29) visible. This is the top Solder Mask, and it's a negative layer. What you don't see is solder mask. Anything you do see on the layer will not be masked.
So I imported the logo into the top copper layer. I imported it again, but this time into into the tStop layer, and matched them up. For the board name I wrote the text into the copper layer then just copied the text and moved it into tStop via properties. Hide the tStop before you run your rules, or you'll throw a bunch that don't matter. The logo threw about 200 errors even after. Since it has no electrical connection I wasn't worried about them. I got the idea looking at some of the "best of" boards that Laen posts here and there. I'm pretty sure that's all I did...

A mostly populated board.

Observant people may notice I'm not stocked on 2n2 or 330n caps. I made them. DO NOT ATTEMPT to apply solder to the copper text. It looks like poopie. Liquid Tin may be a better option.

Edit:mistaken edit.

sonarchotic

Congrats on the layout! Now you will soon have the joy of trouble shooting your own board. Was it a mistake in your build or your layout? You get to find out ;D

Clayford

Thanks for the words of encouragement :P

sonarchotic

Quote from: Clayford on April 12, 2014, 07:47:29 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement :P

Hopefully not on this one but eventually :)

Clayford