News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Faultline Fault

Started by Guybrush, April 13, 2014, 06:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Quote from: Guybrush on April 14, 2014, 08:42:15 PM
So to recap and update. The circuit works perfectly when on my test rig. When I wire up the off board stuff and box it up I get sound in bypass but when I press the 3pdt I get a split second of sound LED light before it goes out and the sound dies.

Edit: Fixed it. Reflowed everything and then worked out that the 3pdt was somehow shorting when I tightened it up. Thanks again for the help. One day I'll be able to figure this stuff out myself!

To clarify, it works completely now? When I've had that problem before with the LED dying fast (along with everything else), it wound up being +9V shorting to ground somewhere.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Guybrush

Yep it seems to be working fine now (fingers crosed). There is a chance there was more than one problem. I reflowed all the offboard soldering so it possible was the +9v shorting as you mentioned and the reflowing has cleared that particular issue up.

The 3pdt thing was strange. To work out what was casuing this issue I tightened up the in/out jacks, powered the effect up and installed all the other hardware one by one so I could identify which bit caused the effect to short. Everything was fine until I put the last quarter turn on the 3pdt nut at which point the effect died. I just put the white plastic 3pdt washer on the underside of the enclosure (rather than on the outside as normally) and that cured it. I'll post a build report soon but I'm away from home for a couple of days now.

Thanks again.