News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

tayda transistors status

Started by atreidesheir, April 13, 2014, 06:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atreidesheir

Many of us do business with Tayda.

I have read some members have had troubles with some of the transistors being out of spec.

I was hoping we could compile some info in a thread of users' experiences good or bad with transistors.
I ask because I also have many unused transistors from tayda and would like to save myself and other the hassle of using transistors that will not work.

I have set aside my j201's from tayda.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

atreidesheir

I also have bc109 with hfe 100-120.  I can use them for silicon rangemasters or something.  Not a total loss.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

slimtriggers

Yeah, I bought 5 bc109s and 1 of them was actually usable.  I have some of their j201s in working pedals right now, so I may have got lucky on those.

pickdropper

Unfortunately, I think it varies from batch to batch with them.  I suspect that they just buy material from their Chinese distributors and don't actually check to see if any of it is in spec.  I've gotten Ge diodes that were way out of spec and others that were in spec.  Same with JFETs.

On BYOC somebody just reported that they got bad TL072 chips, which are very easy to source and shouldn't present issues.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

slacker775

Based on all the info I've seen, I'm being more careful of what I get from them.   I've had no issues with their resistors though the leads are thin.   The pcb mount pots and 3362 trimmers seem to be fine.  Enclosures are fine.   Trannies I'm looking elsewhere as well as non-mainstream ICs or trannies.   Any of that stuff that is crucial to the effect im trying to source elsewhere.

pickdropper

Quote from: slacker775 on April 13, 2014, 07:10:01 PM
Based on all the info I've seen, I'm being more careful of what I get from them.   I've had no issues with their resistors though the leads are thin.   The pcb mount pots and 3362 trimmers seem to be fine.  Enclosures are fine.   Trannies I'm looking elsewhere as well as non-mainstream ICs or trannies.   Any of that stuff that is crucial to the effect im trying to source elsewhere.

Yeah, their 16 and 9mm PCB mount pots seem to be OK and I've had no issues with their 3362 trimmers and LEDs.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

I've had great luck with op amps of all types (DIP and SIP and SOT). Also, their PT2399s seem to be just as variable in noise as anybody else's stock.

I got a batch of bad 5v regulators from them a couple years ago. But after that they've been fine.

I've had pretty good luck with transistors, but I don't buy FETs or dinosaur (TO-18) trannies from them.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Clayford

Leds, sockets, jacks, switches, enclosures, p-dip chips, resistors, caps, pots are about as much as I trust to buy from them anymore. Resistors and caps are fine, but there's better out there. My 201's were crap. They work ok when I needed a single for an effect, but attempting to match.. well.. out of a batch of 50 I couldn't get 4 pairs within .1. Aron was able to give me better stock.

Chromosphere, Small Bear, BLMS, Digi-key, AvNet, Allied, Jameco, all represent better options and some of them are good community supporting options. Tayda's service has become little better than Ebay, and their products aren't much better than. Add to the fact they are selling NAME BRANDED clones, I limit my bushiness with them. Rather pay Paul, Steve, or Lawrence before I pay tayda.

Does it mean multiple orders? Yes. A little extra money? Yes. But I'm worth it. So are my customers. So are you. So are Paul, Steve, and Lawrence. If there's a problem with your order, see what complaining to Tayda gets you. Now have an issue with Paul Steve or Lawrence, see what happens then.

I've had 1 order with an error from that group.  I ordered a bunch of PCB pots and 2 non PCB pots for a specific build. Steve sent all PCB pots. Steve offered to send the 2 correct non-PCB mount pots out, and keep the PCB mount ones for the trouble, and by the way how fast did I need them...

Tayda has become a place where I order oddball caps, sockets, and power connectors from and that's it.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

Haberdasher

the si bipolar transistors there seem to be fine in my opinion.  i haven't had an issue with any of them.
avoiding their fets however, is a pretty good idea for everyone.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS