News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Trouble with Cave Dweller build, VERY long delay

Started by matmosphere, April 18, 2014, 03:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Remove the resistor and measure it with a multimeter, not your eyes. ;)

madbean

RobA

In this case, which isn't typical, you can measure the resistor in place. If you measure the resistance between pin 6 of the PT2399 and lug 2 or 3 of the pot, you'll get the value of the resistor. But, as a 5 band resistor, it should be Green, Brown, Black, Brown, X with the X being brown for a typical 1% tolerance.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

matmosphere

Replaced R11 and things are working much, much better. Learned the hard way that I should check parts before putting them in. I'm still having a little issue with the Dwell control. If it goes past 2 o'clock I get infinite and swelling repeats. Getting really great distorted sci-fi sounds and if I wasn't building this as a gift I'd be tempted to keep it how it is now and see what I could do with it. Guess I need to go back and check some other parts.

The PT2399 is from Mammoth Electronics.

Clayford

Jon and Rob, thank you for pointing out my stupid error.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

RobA

Quote from: Clayford on April 22, 2014, 03:22:14 AM
Jon and Rob, thank you for pointing out my stupid error.
Momentary lapse of color coding ;). I do it so often with black and brown that I have to check myself every time I think I know what I'm doing.

Quote from: mraiteri on April 22, 2014, 03:16:38 AM
Replaced R11 and things are working much, much better. Learned the hard way that I should check parts before putting them in. I'm still having a little issue with the Dwell control. If it goes past 2 o'clock I get infinite and swelling repeats. Getting really great distorted sci-fi sounds and if I wasn't building this as a gift I'd be tempted to keep it how it is now and see what I could do with it. Guess I need to go back and check some other parts.

I'm glad to hear that it's working better. I need to get mine out and play with it a bit to say what mine does with the dwell control, but I do remember it being pretty heavy into the dark delay zone. Cave Dweller is an appropriate name.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

matmosphere

It's getting a lot better, still one more resistor to switch out (had 75k instead of 750k) then it's on to caps if there is still an issue.

jimilee

Quote from: mraiteri on April 22, 2014, 03:16:38 AM

Sounds about right. I love mine. Just built a second one to go in a multi as a matter if fact.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.