News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bi-color LED clipper.

Started by haveyouseenhim, April 19, 2014, 05:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveyouseenhim

Has anyone ever used a bi-color led for clipping? I have one that I'm thinking about trying in a circuit.

I asked at DIYSB and instantly got a useless answer from one of the 'elite' members  ::)
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

Thomas_H

You could switch the colors to have different forward voltages in one direction.
You will need to look at the datasheet how much the forward voltage differs between the colors.
Still you will need two LEDs for bidirectional clipping.

And it will make a nice lightshow if you stick them through your enclosure  ;)
DIY-PCBs and projects:

ic

Most multicolour LEDs have an anode (or cathode) for each colour, and a common cathode (or anode). Your bicolour LED, having only two leads, might have confused a few people.

If you are putting it in a prefabricated board that has 4 pads for 2 back to back diodes or LEDs, installing it in place of one of the diodes, in any direction, and leaving the other spot empty should work. Basically, your LED is a little self contained package of back to back LED's of different colours.

Hope this helps, (and I hope I'm right!)

EDIT: I've just realised your question is more 'what will it sound like', not, 'will it work'. I guess it will sound like two discrete diodes with similar voltage drops to each direction of your two-legged bicolour LED, symmetrical or asymmetrical depending on the specs.

haveyouseenhim

Yes, I should have mentioned that it has two leads. One polarity is yellow and one is green. They both have pretty close matched forward voltages.

I'm wondering if anyone uses this at all. Kind of a trivial question, but I'm just curious.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

midwayfair

huh, I've never seen a bi-color LED with only two legs. Sounds useful.

I hate to say it, Mike, but PRR's answer was the one I would have given since most people aren't going to have this part in hand. :P If you really don't want to use a socket, you could tack solder it until you know if it works.

Clayford

Wouldn't this LED's Color be affected by it's voltage? IE green if voltage is above X but below Y, and red if voltage is above Y? Thats the two legged bi-colour LEDs I'm familiar with.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

Thomas_H

There are bicolor LEDs that just have two separate LEDs inside  where one is anode -> cathode and the other one is cathode -> anode.
So their color is choosen by switching polarity.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Thomas_H on April 19, 2014, 05:33:34 PM
There are bicolor LEDs that just have two separate LEDs inside  where one is anode -> cathode and the other one is cathode -> anode.
So their color is choosen by switching polarity.

Exact, i have couple of those, they will work as normal LED for clipping, but you'll have 2 different FwdV to choose from ;)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/