News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Bronze - Madbean Faultline, with video (of poorly played QOTSA riffs)

Started by Guybrush, April 19, 2014, 11:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

First off (and before anyone else points it out  ;) ) the design of this build is a total rip off of Billstein's amazing Multiplex build that can be found here  http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=9996.0 I checked with him and he was happy for me to copy it and post my version here.

It's a Madbean Faultline which if you don't know is a version of the Catalinbread SFT. It's supposed to sound like an old Ampeg Portaflex amp that was famously used by Josh from Queens of the Stone Age. I love their stuff so couldn't resist giving this a go.

I etched the circuit board myself so was over the moon when it fired up first time when I connected it to my test rig. Things went downhill though when I boxed it up. Thanks to everything helped me get it up and running over at the Tech Help sub-forum.

The build doc says that it sounds better with 18v but when I tried it it kind of turned into a very gated fuzz that only really had one sound. Maybe just my build but I definitely prefer it at 9v.

I also swapped a couple of the pots as recommended in this post http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=334.0

Here's a quick video of a few different settings. Sound quality isn't great as I only have my phone to record on but you should be able to get he gist. They're all QOTSA riffs, please excuse my sloppy playing!

http://youtu.be/N3PWZkEl59Y (sorry, can't get it to embed).

rullywowr

Love the faceplate man!  Nice style.  Glad everything worked out for the win!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

selfdestroyer

Great job and I love the tunes. Huge QOTSA fan here also. I love the font you used for The Bronze.

Cody

midwayfair

Excellent faceplate! The giant lens looks really cool, too.

We gotta talk about your pots' wire lengths, though. It'll really tidy things up on the inside if you make them shorter. :)

lincolnic

Haberdasher

that sounds a little meaner than my faultline.
what kind of pups are you using in the demo?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Leevibe

Cool faceplate! Love the pilot lamp jewel too and the Marshall knobs really suit it. Nice work.

Guybrush

Cheers guys. Really enjoying playing with this one.

Ha, I knew someone would mention the pot wiring. I had every intention of cutting them down but I lost interest after all the problems I had with it. Lazy I know.

The LED lense is a Fender amp replacement part. Had to drill the hole and envirotex carefully to make sure it would fit tightly and not come loose.

Pickups are whatever these are. They are some sort of Dearmond.

Haven't tried it with my telecast yet. Maybe it'll sound different with that.

Leevibe

nzCdog

peAk

Bret608

That guitar looks like something Josh would play!

I really had no idea the Faultline circuit would get you into this sonic territory. Nice work!

Guybrush

Cheers guys! Appreciate the kind words. Guitar is Harmony H76 from the mid 60s.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper