News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Egodriver Problem

Started by tenwatt, April 03, 2011, 08:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

The voltages that usually matter for us are the IC and Tranny voltages usually. The voltages on the caps and resistors can sometimes help, but an Audio probe becomes more helpful then. And frankly, your IC and transistor voltages look fine. You've got ground where you're supposed to, and the voltages look like they're dividing properly.

So now, if your pot is still acting weird, I have no idea why. i hate that. It shouldn't be doing what you say it's doing. It is still doing the strange noise right?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

tenwatt

Quote from: jkokura on April 14, 2011, 08:55:13 AM
The voltages that usually matter for us are the IC and Tranny voltages usually. The voltages on the caps and resistors can sometimes help, but an Audio probe becomes more helpful then. And frankly, your IC and transistor voltages look fine. You've got ground where you're supposed to, and the voltages look like they're dividing properly.

So now, if your pot is still acting weird, I have no idea why. i hate that. It shouldn't be doing what you say it's doing. It is still doing the strange noise right?

Jacob
Yup...still making the noise.  Where should I start probing and what should I NOT probe?
Not too bright....

jkokura

Take your schematic, and the layout, and start to follow the audio path from input to output. You should start at the input wire to the board, and then move part through part, making notes on your schematic. Also, you don't need to check any part of the ground or power connections For example:

Input: sound is great
R1: sound is great
C1 in: Sound is great
C1 out: sound is now muffled
R2 in: Same as C1 out
R2 out: Even more muffled

Etc. Make those notes, but don't post them here. What you're looking for is where the strange sound starts for you. What you're trying to do is locate the beginning of the strange sound. Once you've located it, you can do a couple things - tell us about what you've found and ask for more help, change or resolder parts and see if you can deal with it yourself, or take Bean up and get a new board and start over.

Hope this helps Jeremy!

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

tenwatt

Will do.  Thanx!

I'm sorry if this has been annoying but I've tried to just take it as a learning experience.  That's why I haven't just caved and accepted Brian's offer yet.  I really want to learn what I'm doing as opposed to just following directions.  I really do value all the info I've receive so far.
Not too bright....

bigmufffuzzwizz

If you really give in you could try sending it to someone else to give a go at it!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

Quote from: tenwatt on April 14, 2011, 11:24:22 AM
Will do.  Thanx!

I'm sorry if this has been annoying but I've tried to just take it as a learning experience.  That's why I haven't just caved and accepted Brian's offer yet.  I really want to learn what I'm doing as opposed to just following directions.  I really do value all the info I've receive so far.

Not annoying. Frustrating yes, because it hasn't been an easy fix. Everything I would normally say you should do hasn't worked. I don't know why it's doing what you're saying. We'll get it working I'm sure, but it might take a new board for you to get a good product in your hands.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

tenwatt

Tonight I desoldered and rewired all the pots to insure that I hadn't screwed up some wires.  I then probed it all and the ONLY places I got a sound with out strobing was on the top side  of R3 and on the third pin of the IC.
Not too bright....