News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slambox - No sound in bypass mode

Started by thetrend77, April 05, 2011, 01:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrend77

I can't get any sound when my slambox is in bypass mode. I've checked my wiring and everything checks out. It works fine when the pedal is engaged, but when I turn it off, I get nothing.

HELP!!!  :'(

jtn191

I had a very similar problem not long ago. Use a Multi-meter to test continuity from Input to switch to Output...then make sure that that path is not grounded (i.e. check continuity with ground) or touching any other path that it shouldn't be--I had a tiny splinter of a wire branching off to an unwanted lug.

Check (also with DMM) that the switch is working as it should: i.e.
123                                                             456
456   lugs should be connected vertically and  789  in the other position

If you still have a problem, post pictures

thetrend77

I'm at work right now, so I can't do any testing, but could you please explain that in a little more detail? I'm a total noob when it comes to all that kind of stuff. :P

jtn191

ok 1. Do you have a Digital Multi-meter? they can be had for cheap and are probably the bare minimum for solving problems like this. read this http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=1517.0
2. Continuity--in simple terms--is a way of testing electrical connections. Once you have a MM, measure the impedance (in ohms) between any two places. If they are touching via metal, their impedance will read 0.

If you think of signal flow like a river/water, we're looking where the leak is. Read all of these articles http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/ especially the one about switches to learn about how 3dpts work

post pictures, so we know what you've got

thetrend77

Alright, that makes a little more sense lol

I have a DMM. I'll have to check it when I get a chance. I'll post a guts shot as soon as I can.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Do you have an audio probe? That will help you a lot if you come to the conclusion that the wiring/switch is all good.
I remember people talking about BS170 transistors being electro static sensitive. With an audio probe you would be able to tell if that is what happened in your case.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on April 05, 2011, 11:31:49 PM
Do you have an audio probe? That will help you a lot if you come to the conclusion that the wiring/switch is all good.
I remember people talking about BS170 transistors being electro static sensitive. With an audio probe you would be able to tell if that is what happened in your case.

If it's bypass that's the problem, the transistor will not likely be the problem. What's likely happened is that the input and output is leaking to ground through some stray connection.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

thetrend77

Ok, so I figured out my problem. Somehow my jumper from the top middle to the bottom right lug on the 3pdt broke lol

Anyway, I changed the jumper and all is well! Thanks for the help!

thetrend77

Just for clarification:

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

It's the one from 2 to 9 that broke lol

bigmufffuzzwizz

Good job! I missed the part about it working fine when engaged. Easy fix right?
Now use continuity to your power!!  ;D
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jtn191