News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Poll - 13700 or 3080

Started by Scruffie, April 26, 2014, 10:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you rather waste half a 13700 or use a 3080 (where it wont add noise).

LM13700
14 (35.9%)
CA3080
10 (25.6%)
Chocolate
2 (5.1%)
Bacon
10 (25.6%)
Kumquat
3 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: May 03, 2014, 10:17:27 PM

Scruffie

Quote from: juansolo on April 27, 2014, 08:35:11 AM
In the UK getting 3080s for sensible money is still possible so that'd be my choice. However, thinking ahead, using something that's in production (this goes for all new effects) has to make more sense?

Then of course you gave us the option of bacon. When bacon is an option, it is the only option!
They are still in production, albeit on a smaller scale, by Rochester electronics, smallbear stocks them.

I don't actually eat bacon...  :-[ but it is drawing with the 13700! I think I may change the poll for 2 votes for those that were unable to resist the allure of bacon in their decision.

Edit: Apparently I can't, bacon it is!
Works at Lectric-FX

juansolo

Then I would just have to vote for MORE BACON  ;D
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

Muffwiggler had a big group buy of 3080 chips recently (closed now.) New designs should always try to use in-production parts.

I can't wait till the stupid internet meme of baconbaconbaconholyfuckimcummingbaconbacon dies off. I prefer a good savoury or cheese scone, myself. A good one, not a crappy one that has more in common with a chocolate muffin with no chocolate.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Scruffie

Quote from: alanp on April 27, 2014, 05:51:44 PM
Muffwiggler had a big group buy of 3080 chips recently (closed now.) New designs should always try to use in-production parts.

I can't wait till the stupid internet meme of baconbaconbaconholyfuckimcummingbaconbacon dies off. I prefer a good savoury or cheese scone, myself. A good one, not a crappy one that has more in common with a chocolate muffin with no chocolate.
As I said, the CA3080 are still being produced for the time being, or else I wouldn't even consider them an option (although they were produced in far greater numbers than something like an MN3005 or even 3007 as they were used a lot more widely as they don't have such a niche use).

I have no idea what that meme is... but i'd go with a good cheese (not scone) over bacon.
Works at Lectric-FX

RobA

Quote from: Scruffie on April 26, 2014, 11:51:06 PM
Quote from: RobA on April 26, 2014, 11:25:46 PM
CA3080, I think.

What about the BA6110 SIP? I've got a couple to play with, but haven't had the time to spend on it yet.
I don't think those are still in production are they? The 13700 & 3080 both still are to some degree.

I haven't looked them much as they seemed a more obscure part.
I had checked the Rohm website before and thought that I had seen they were still available, but checking now, I can't find them. I figured that at least the SMD version would still be in production, but I can't find those there either.

I hate bacon. I haven't tasted it in about 30 years, but I didn't like bacon even before I went vegetarian -- lard and salt.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Scruffie

Quote from: RobA on April 27, 2014, 06:18:32 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on April 26, 2014, 11:51:06 PM
Quote from: RobA on April 26, 2014, 11:25:46 PM
CA3080, I think.

What about the BA6110 SIP? I've got a couple to play with, but haven't had the time to spend on it yet.
I don't think those are still in production are they? The 13700 & 3080 both still are to some degree.

I haven't looked them much as they seemed a more obscure part.
I had checked the Rohm website before and thought that I had seen they were still available, but checking now, I can't find them. I figured that at least the SMD version would still be in production, but I can't find those there either.

I hate bacon. I haven't tasted it in about 30 years, but I didn't like bacon even before I went vegetarian -- lard and salt.
I think they were produced specifically for Roland/BOSS.

10 years for me, I liked it young and quickly went off it, can still picture it exactly though down to texture... yuck.
Works at Lectric-FX

DutchMF

I first wanted to share just this:

But while looking for it I found this:
http://bacontoday.com/best-bacon-memes/

Hope you enjoy.....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

RobA

Quote from: Scruffie on April 27, 2014, 06:25:18 PM
I think they were produced specifically for Roland/BOSS.
That makes sense.
10 years for me, I liked it young and quickly went off it, can still picture it exactly though down to texture... yuck.
Yep.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Scruffie

Quote from: DutchMF on April 27, 2014, 06:36:48 PM
I first wanted to share just this:

But while looking for it I found this:
http://bacontoday.com/best-bacon-memes/

Hope you enjoy.....

Paul
I approve of the kevin bacon.
Works at Lectric-FX

midwayfair

I have a friend who says that the only thing keeping him from becoming vegetarian is bacon. So you're kind of a lucky person; few are so strong as to resist bacon.

Scruffie

Quote from: midwayfair on April 27, 2014, 11:11:10 PM

I have a friend who says that the only thing keeping him from becoming vegetarian is bacon. So you're kind of a lucky person; few are so strong as to resist bacon.
I've heard that from many people, it does seem to be the game changer.

Except it mainly applies to the UK, US & Canada in my experience, a lot of europe aren't so fussed and in some countries it's not even a thing really.
Works at Lectric-FX

RobA

I can understand the sentiment. I say the same thing about cheese and becoming a vegan myself. It is funny to me though, because after a while, the thought of the texture and feel of meat got to be very unappealing and bacon is near the top of the list probably for the very reasons that most people really like it.

Scruffie

Quote from: RobA on April 27, 2014, 11:21:25 PM
I can understand the sentiment. I say the same thing about cheese and becoming a vegan myself. It is funny to me though, because after a while, the thought of the texture and feel of meat got to be very unappealing and bacon is near the top of the list probably for the very reasons that most people really like it.
I'm the exact same about cheese, that and every vegan i've met has been too preachy and I don't want to become that... I will still cook meat for others (and I can well regardless of eating it) and don't give a shit if others like it, but i'm not eating it. In fact I find i'm more often in the middle, both meat eaters and vegans pushing their side.

I found bacon better than pork before becoming one though... chicken breast I liked, steak was just vile, beef was... I wouldn't pick it.
Works at Lectric-FX

oldschoolanalog

BACON!!!
Quote from: haveyouseenhim on April 27, 2014, 08:45:07 AM
Chocolate covered bacon is amazing.
+1. With peanut butter and apple on toasted rye....
3080 is a noisy POS. Go 13700. Easier to source, cheaper and quieter.  8)
I'm not a Diode Destroyer. I'm a BBDamned fool!

Scruffie

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on April 28, 2014, 12:20:01 AM
BACON!!!
Quote from: haveyouseenhim on April 27, 2014, 08:45:07 AM
Chocolate covered bacon is amazing.
+1. With peanut butter and apple on toasted rye....
3080 is a noisy POS. Go 13700. Easier to source, cheaper and quieter.  8)
First post specified, in a non-audio example so no added noise  ;)

But yes it is easier to get hold of and cheaper, however, if your PCB has to be bigger and your enclosure has to increase in size, you have effectively paid most likely more than the extra cost of a 3080 + shipping from a reputable source.

I do love reeses, chocolate and peanut butter is an amazing mix. As is caramel and/or chocolate and salt... bacon and chocolate topped doughnut filled with salted peanut butter and caramel... mmm
Works at Lectric-FX