News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tuskproto / Small Mexican Dog / Dumberoid

Started by juansolo, April 29, 2014, 05:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Quote from: midwayfair on April 29, 2014, 10:41:46 PM
Juan, you might want to try a blue LED antiparallel to the red one. That would avoid the op amp clipping but keep the asymmetrical clipping.

Probably going to leave it stock (well it's got a different op amp, but otherwise it's stock). That way if I decide it irritates me again, I'll stick it on eBay. I was planning on getting shot of it anyhow before I had another go with it yesterday as I simply wasn't keen on it.

It'd also test a theory I have with boutique effects as I'll list it at what I consider to be sensible money (also neatly made and without goop)... I might even do it anyway just as an experiment. I'll have to start it nice and low so I can send it to the US.

I think I might have talked myself into it... Errp. Bear with me a second...

Let the experiment commence!

Now to subtly stick that on TGP...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

das234

The Mexican Dog is great!  Knobs matched to the flag colors and everything.  That's my kind of design.

Clayford

Juan,

So tempted to click the Ask seller a question button.
"Isn't this basically a tube screamer?"
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

midwayfair

So, John did you manage to get kicked off TGP again? That thread was an awesome trainwreck, I was quite enjoying it.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: midwayfair on April 30, 2014, 05:11:48 PM
So, John did you manage to get kicked off TGP again? That thread was an awesome trainwreck, I was quite enjoying it.

Ahhhhh!!!! Not enought time!

Please link...   8)

culturejam

I loved how the shills accused other people of shilling.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

midwayfair

Quote from: culturejam on April 30, 2014, 07:38:31 PM
I loved how the shills accused other people of shilling.

My favorite was the Big Bloom guy posting that he wished he could spam like that.

culturejam

^^ You've probably noticed that there are three guys that always post in any thread about "Shin" product. Usually, one of the three starts the thread, and then others jump in shortly thereafter. Gotta be some kind of shill network.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

nzCdog

juansolo

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 30, 2014, 05:20:20 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on April 30, 2014, 05:11:48 PM

Ahhhhh!!!! Not enought time!

Please link...   8)

LOL, I've been away at Silverstone (racetrack) the last three days, so I literally set events in motion and left. It's been carnage hasn't it!  ;D

BUT, I'll give them their due, they've definitely got a bit more laid back with the moderation. If I was going to get my third strike I really thought that'd have been it (I was hoping for it to be fair... I've been wanting an excuse to stay away from TGP for a bit). But nope, other than shutting the thread, nothing. Just as it was getting interesting too!

Shame. Ah well, it provided a bit of entertainment. I haven't even looked on ebay yet to see if anyone's actually bothered to bid on it.

It's here anyhow - http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1412993

Gets fun in the last few pages. But the early stuff is enlightening also.

Update: LOL, had a look, 82 views, no bids. Not a surprise in the slightest. I'm gonna goop it if it doesn't sell, wrap it up in some flowery bullshit then list it at $200. All part of the experimentage :)

selfdestroyer

Taken from the TGP link above when talking about FSB making a clone.
QuoteEventually they may get it right. But I feel sorry for the people who think they are playing an exact tonal copy, which in fact they are not. Cheers

This just kills me.. where are these people getting these magic components that no one else can buy? I really liken this whole hobby to build model cars or plans. 6 people make the same model plane, sure some will look better then others but they are all from the same parts and used the same glue.. no real magic..

das234

New Update:  There's a bidder!

I was going to "ask the seller" if that price included a bottle of DIY mystery goop but I didn't want to sabotage the experiment.

Clayford

All the seller questions only displayed for everyone if the seller answers and chooses to share the question and answer. In effect..  it's shouldn't
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

midwayfair

Quote from: selfdestroyer on May 02, 2014, 10:34:25 PM
Taken from the TGP link above when talking about FSB making a clone.
QuoteEventually they may get it right. But I feel sorry for the people who think they are playing an exact tonal copy, which in fact they are not. Cheers

This just kills me.. where are these people getting these magic components that no one else can buy? I really liken this whole hobby to build model cars or plans. 6 people make the same model plane, sure some will look better then others but they are all from the same parts and used the same glue.. no real magic..

They're not getting an exact copy because FSB almost immediately found ways to improve the circuit. I think that's what the post is talking about. The original sounds like crap.

juansolo

Yeah, it's horrible if you build it 'standard'. There's a buzzing on note decay that's genuinely unpleasant and far more apparent in the flesh than it is on the demos. Though when you know what you're listening for, you can hear it plain as day even on YouTube. Someone on FSB went through a load of op amps until he found one that clipped in a much more pleasant manner. We tried everything we had and got one in of the type he mentioned and it was a vast improvement. The other change was a resistor that messes with the bottom end. It was a bit mushy when we first built it. A recommendation by Rydell to trim the lower frequencies a bit soon tamed that.

It's a MUCH better sounding effect than it was for the changes. To the point that I actually think it sounds pretty good now. I'd never use it if I kept it, so selling it was always an option. So it became an experiment. Stick a sensible, non-piss takey price on it. Say what it is (hell there's even a link on the auction back to the site where they can read all about it) and see what happens.

I really hoped it wouldn't sell as I have every intention of gooping it and re-listing it at £200 :)