News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

home etching boards layouts

Started by pikervs, April 30, 2014, 06:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikervs

Ok, here's the deal: I really like the madbean projects and I also like to etch my own boards, but some projects (like the Harbinger One, the Pork Barrel and others) do not have an etchable layout that I can use for the toner transfer method.
How can I get those layouts?

Clayford

If there isn't a single sided layout, then there isn't one that exists. Those circuits you named are quite complicated. The pork barrel has several vias connecting top and bottom traces. You'll need to order those circuits from Brian.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

midwayfair

If you're okay with a univibe that three times the size of the Harbinger, RG Keen has an etchable Forum Vibe layout; I think Brian's minor changes are either already part of that design, or can be incorporated if you're willing to go through the schematic.

I'm also pretty sure that there must be a CE-2 single-sided layout floating around somewhere on DIYSB for instance. Again, it will be significantly larger.

These are two projects, though, where I think a PCB build will be every bit as satisfying as etching your own, especially considering whatever you save in the cost of the board will be lost in the cost of the enclosure!

Govmnt_Lacky

+1^^^

Look at what you pay to order a board from Brian compared to what you pay in materials (FR4, FeCl, etc.), time, and effort to etch a board and it is much better to get it from Brian OR from Haberdasher if it is an older board.

Now... if you are an etching masochist like me, then you enjoy etching your own single sided 7" x 6" PCBs  ::)  :o

mmlee

There's a ce-2 at tonepad if you must etch your own.
>Marcus

pickdropper

I get that people like etching boards.  That's totally cool.  I think it's amazing that Brian spends as much time as he does doing etching layouts for folks that would rather make their own boards than buy fabbed boards from him.

For some of the more complicated boards, the amount of time that Brian would have to spend putting together a fabbed layout is probably just not worth it.  For those, I suspect it makes more sense for him to only do the fabbed versions.  And even for folks that like to etch, buying a board here and there isn't so bad and it helps keep this place running.

Just my 2 cents.  Not criticizing anybody, just trying to present a different perspective.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Gledison

Quote from: pickdropper on April 30, 2014, 10:46:19 AM
I get that people like etching boards.  That's totally cool.  I think it's amazing that Brian spends as much time as he does doing etching layouts for folks that would rather make their own boards than buy fabbed boards from him.

For some of the more complicated boards, the amount of time that Brian would have to spend putting together a fabbed layout is probably just not worth it.  For those, I suspect it makes more sense for him to only do the fabbed versions.  And even for folks that like to etch, buying a board here and there isn't so bad and it helps keep this place running.

Just my 2 cents.  Not criticizing anybody, just trying to present a different perspective.
+1 here.
o love doing my pcbs. and i've got the porbarrel and Zero point DD from Brian and i loved it.
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

pikervs

It's not that I don't want to buy Madbean's PCBs! The fact is I live in Italy, so I would have to wait a really long time (even months) for an order to arrive and I also could end up paying up to 3 times (or even more) the actual value of my order if I take into account shipping, the Italian V.A.T. (22%) and other ridiculous taxes the people at the customs office could apply to my package!
However, is it possible to have the layouts for making double sided circuits? I think I can make some decent vias if I solder a jumper using stranded wire in the pcb holes...

Clayford

Madbean doesn't offer double sided layouts....
Previously mentioned are places you might find larger single sided layouts of similar effects.

Maybe your etching skills are up to snuff... as much room as there is for error on these types of builds, I'd stick to a PCB for the extra money.

twin1965

I have heard that the Italian postal system is really bad. Things taking ages to arrive or not arriving at all! I can imagine how frustrating it must be.
Have you looked at creating your own layouts using EagleCad? It's not as difficult as you might think. You can create single sided layouts with jumpers if the circuits are complex. Like it's been said the boards will be quite big but if that doesn't bother you, then EagleCad might be worth learning.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

pikervs

I have some knowledge on how to use Eagle actually... if I reproduced the two layers of Madbean's projects as etchable layouts and then proceeded to transfer them on the two sides of a fr4 board and drilled and wired the vias wouldn't the result be the same?

madbean

Why not just build my Warhead project? It is a single sided etching Univibe PCB that goes in a 1590BB.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5296.0

You can easily add the optional input buffer from the Harbinger and call it a day.

BTW: I do have many Italian customers. I do not consider the Italian post to be more problematic than other European countries in the sense of lost shipments, etc. It happens once in a while but luckily it is pretty rare. FWIW.

pietro_moog

VAT doesn't apply on orders under 50€. and yes, our postal system is bad, mainly because is very slow internally.
my order arrived a week ago in italy and it is still at the customs. orders take something like 4 weeks to arrive.
10 days from the united states to italy, 15-20 from the customs to our homes. however fabled pcbs are worth the wait, if only for a much better durability of the pedal in time.

Clayford

Quote from: madbean on May 01, 2014, 06:23:05 AM
Why not just build my Warhead project? It is a single sided etching Univibe PCB that goes in a 1590BB.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5296.0

You can easily add the optional input buffer from the Harbinger and call it a day.

BTW: I do have many Italian customers. I do not consider the Italian post to be more problematic than other European countries in the sense of lost shipments, etc. It happens once in a while but luckily it is pretty rare. FWIW.

Bean may have meant to link here. I'm not sure, but it's an option as well, and includes the eagle files to make changes if you desire.

pikervs

Thanks for all the replies :)
FYI: I heard that with DHL and the likes the problem at the customs is reduced... also, I think Madbean could take the VAT off international orders without losing any money.
I could order some of the more complicated PCBs in the future, but I think that I'll stick with the home etched ones for the time being.